HTC One: IPS Display? 64GB? Any Specs posted by Telus anywhere?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Just joined this forum. This is the first forum I've ever been into that has no search capabilities (at the bottom of the screen, it says 'Search the Forum', and when I type in there, it starts a new post - that's how I got here!). It is a new 'beta' site, so I'm sure that'll eventually be noticed, but most forum software vendors include that functionality out of the box, so not sure who made that conscious decision.

UPDATE: I enabled some additional Javascript permissions for this website, aside from the main Telus ones (something like TelusWeDay, if I recall), and now there's an AJAX list of hit subjects when I type a topic into the 'Ask the Telus Community' box at the bottom of the forum landing page. So there is searching enabled after all. My bad. Although I don't like opening up umpteen permissions for websites, but this is not too unreasonable.

I got the first shipment of Desire (Organic LED, before it switched displays), and want something of similar quality for its replacement. I read in the UK that the HTC One display is currently IPS (Sharp SLCD3) - is that true in Canada as well, and for recent shipments?

Also, Can I get it with 64GB NVRAM, or just 32GB?

Both the new and old Telus sites tell me hardly any facts (especially the new site, which says the 2 year plan is the same price as buying it outright!). I can see how many colours it comes in (silver), dimensions, and what Telus offerings it comes standard with. Who would agree to a 2 year contract and pay the same as someone buying it outright without one day's commitment?)??? Especially with almost zero specs?

And how does anyone buy a Telus phone here without being able to try it (even at the stores), or any published specs (phones change within their shipping lifetime, and vendor to vendor). I can read specs from around the world, but that's no guaranteee as to what I'll get. And with lies from Telus support (that they don't stand behind), I'm screwed into a plan if I buy one. I just don't get it. I will say that no has told me yet that the HTC One is powered by fairy dust and delivered by unicorns, so it seems they do have limits. I'm grateful for that, I suppose.

Can someone identify the specs that isn't a shill for Telus or Bell or Rogers? Thx. So many of the posts I've seen so far are obviously manufacturer or vendor sponsored posts. Maybe there's a whole section to the Telus website I've missed somewhere that covers all this, in which case, I apologize for ranting (at least about finding the specs part).

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

Awesome reply!

Thanks Silver_Arrow!

Actually, the Desire with the OLED blows the doors off *any* Samsung AMOLED I've seen to date (except in resolution for the newest models). The later Desire LCDs were fine, but just typical. I'm only using S-IPS or AMVA displays now, and have been spoiled for life.

🙂

I had to laugh when you gave the background on the two year plan logic. It is totally believable. But it is great information.

Yes, I was using GSMarena and Notebookcheck as my most trustable review sites. I'm still a speck worried, as the specs change periodically over the life of the phone (like my current phone, which had OLED only in the first shipment to Canada). But I'll check it out in person. Telus does not permit anyone to actually make a test phone call with any of their smartphones at any of their stores. You have to sign & buy the phone first. And if you can't stand the quality, they won't give you a refund - you have to pick from another available phone they currently sell at the same owner (corporate or dealer), within the next few weeks, and you have no choice but to be happy with one of them (whether you like it or not). Until your next term dies (which basically has to be 3 years, as you pointed out). But then you are welcome to choose again (just not actually try one). That also makes me laugh: it's a phone company, and you're not allowed to actually try the phone before you buy. I hope they don't start selling cars.

The non-replaceable battery is also a worry, as mine began dying after 2 and a quarter years, and totally died by 2.5 years, and I'm using a cheap aftermarket clone battery now, which is really wonky. Telus told me they don't carry the OEM replacement battery to sell, even though the phone is still under term. I'd like to get about 3 years out of the next phone if possible, and will no't buy a warranty that exceeds the price of the phone over the same period.

But even with a slower CPU clock than the Galaxy S4, and only DDR2 memory, in every other regard, this phone looks fantastic to me.

Wiith your info, I may be able to save enough to not give a hoot about the battery. Thanks again!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

In addition to the two year max in December one of the things is specifically for letting people trial phones and see if it is good for them.  Also if you are worried about the speakers; don't. The One has the loudest speakers on any phone out there. And the small sec difference between it and the S4. Well we have reached the point where that doesn't even matter anymore. And the battery, they will die after a while but in two and a half years you should be getting a new phone.

All Replies
Highlighted
Ambassador

It has a 4.7' 1080p IPS SLCD 3 display and widely thought of as the best display on the market. It is not an OLED screen like the Desire that you have but it should be much better. Also in Canada you can only buy the Silver version with 32 gigs at the moment.

Also yeah the two yar price is that so people do not buy two year contracts and when the government grills them they can go "well we offer two year contracts, but no one takes them they all go three years" Yes they actally did this, can't remember if it was Telus or Rogers though. But starting in December 2 years is the maximum so expect two year prices to drop. A lot.  

If you want to see all the One's specs check this out here and it is the AT&T model.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

Awesome reply!

Thanks Silver_Arrow!

Actually, the Desire with the OLED blows the doors off *any* Samsung AMOLED I've seen to date (except in resolution for the newest models). The later Desire LCDs were fine, but just typical. I'm only using S-IPS or AMVA displays now, and have been spoiled for life.

🙂

I had to laugh when you gave the background on the two year plan logic. It is totally believable. But it is great information.

Yes, I was using GSMarena and Notebookcheck as my most trustable review sites. I'm still a speck worried, as the specs change periodically over the life of the phone (like my current phone, which had OLED only in the first shipment to Canada). But I'll check it out in person. Telus does not permit anyone to actually make a test phone call with any of their smartphones at any of their stores. You have to sign & buy the phone first. And if you can't stand the quality, they won't give you a refund - you have to pick from another available phone they currently sell at the same owner (corporate or dealer), within the next few weeks, and you have no choice but to be happy with one of them (whether you like it or not). Until your next term dies (which basically has to be 3 years, as you pointed out). But then you are welcome to choose again (just not actually try one). That also makes me laugh: it's a phone company, and you're not allowed to actually try the phone before you buy. I hope they don't start selling cars.

The non-replaceable battery is also a worry, as mine began dying after 2 and a quarter years, and totally died by 2.5 years, and I'm using a cheap aftermarket clone battery now, which is really wonky. Telus told me they don't carry the OEM replacement battery to sell, even though the phone is still under term. I'd like to get about 3 years out of the next phone if possible, and will no't buy a warranty that exceeds the price of the phone over the same period.

But even with a slower CPU clock than the Galaxy S4, and only DDR2 memory, in every other regard, this phone looks fantastic to me.

Wiith your info, I may be able to save enough to not give a hoot about the battery. Thanks again!

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

In addition to the two year max in December one of the things is specifically for letting people trial phones and see if it is good for them.  Also if you are worried about the speakers; don't. The One has the loudest speakers on any phone out there. And the small sec difference between it and the S4. Well we have reached the point where that doesn't even matter anymore. And the battery, they will die after a while but in two and a half years you should be getting a new phone.