cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G network

WpgTechGuy
Just Moved In
I have two phones on my plan, a Note 20 5G and a S20 5G, and neither phone has ever displayed that it is connected to the 5G network here in Winnipeg. Both were purchased in November and the sim cards swapped from a S8 plus and an S8 respectively. I am also only getting 200-300 Mbps DL speeds which is much slower than expected/advertised. Is there something I need to do to access the appropriate wireless network?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KnightShadey
Coach

Also check with 611 and see if you have 5G enabled.

Originally at launch you needed to enable 5G on your account and it was only offered as an option on unlimited plans initially.

I'm not sure if that is still the case now, but a straight SIM swap would mean your account particulars didn't change. This was a similar issue initially with LTE move from HSPA where initially you needed to request LTE, but later it was just enabled by default.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

C_Fun
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, you can refer to telus.com/coverage for the latest coverage details. 5G will continue to roll out over the next several years.

Thanks for the suggestion. After reviewing the coverage map, it says that Winnipeg should have 5G coverage.

KnightShadey
Coach

5G in Canada is still mainly on the same frequencies as 4G LTE-A, with some limited 600Mhz and 2500Mhz mid-band implementations that are till relatively slow vs potential while being slightly faster than before on occasion. Also that Canadian LTE is among the fastest in the world, the difference between 4G and 5G will not be as significant at first regardless.

Th biggest differences in speeds will only occur after new chunks of spectrum free-up to allow for larger blocks of data, so not until after the 3500Mhz auction in June (likely not implemented until the fall at the earliest). Even then it will still be slower than the potential of 5Ghz Sub-6 let alone the push to faster and wider mmWave 5G.

Right now 200-300Mbs is faster than most 5G implementations and still faster than most LTE too, with the few areas that are faster being cherry-picked locations for testing in big city centres, and that's usually when there are few people on the cell sites. The average 5G dnld speed in the US is still just 30-50Mbs, and has often been seen to be slower slightly than 4G in the vast majority of areas outside of test centre roll-outs in big cities like NYC, LA, SanFrsn, Seattle, Denver, etc.

KnightShadey
Coach

Also check with 611 and see if you have 5G enabled.

Originally at launch you needed to enable 5G on your account and it was only offered as an option on unlimited plans initially.

I'm not sure if that is still the case now, but a straight SIM swap would mean your account particulars didn't change. This was a similar issue initially with LTE move from HSPA where initially you needed to request LTE, but later it was just enabled by default.