Webmail/Telus email is currently down.

Peter1975
Resident
So I am not the only one that is receiving that error
Fisherguy
Advocate

@ColtenDavis, who the h*ll are you to tell us what is important?!  Some people need email for bills, banking, their business or god knows what.  Email is not important to you but don't be telling others what's important to them!!   

My email's been down since Thursday, Telus sh!t the bed again!

ColtenDavis
Resident

@Fisherguyclearly you're okay in the head.  Nobody's bills or banking requires email.  If anyone needs email that badly, then they use hotmail or gmail like everyone else on Earth in 2019.  Things in the universe break; you don't deserve crap because of it.  This is the first time my Telus email's been down for over 20 years.  Grow up.

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Finally got email back at 8:00pm tonight.  All emails seem to be there, BUT..don't have the file for Saved emails and no link to get them.  Hopefully, this will correct itself in the next little while.  At the moment, I'm a happy camper.  Now it will be interesting to see what, if anything, Telus does to offer some type of compensation.

Slork2
Resident

I should say webmail.telus.net is a subdomain of telus.net. Telus.net is the root, and telus.net gets the "Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead" flag on Firefox. Hacked?

LostinVancouver
Coach

@Fisherguy Nobody's bills or banking requires email

EMTs use email.

Timmah1
Neighbour

So apparently it was the cloud provider Dell that screw this up....interesting to now know that our data with a canadian company was probably not even stored in Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/4-days-of-telus-email-outage-caused-by-data-storage-...

Fisherguy
Advocate

@ColtenDavis, in 2019 you've never heard of people getting bills by email, really??  What about businesses that rely on Telus email for their day to day business?  Should they just accept this BS from Telus, should they grow up too and quit complaining??   

II have other email but for all by bills and other important stuff I use my Telus email.  If you're so over-joyed with the service Telus gives you why do you use Hotmail or Gmail??

Yes, things fail, but it shouldn't take 5 f'n days for a company like Telus to repair the problem!

Why are you defending Telus, are you a manager there or something?  Must be time for your morning glass of Koolaid!!   lol

Fisherguy
Advocate

Why is the first post marked SOLVED?

Last night Telus said as a temporary fix they got Webmail working,  I can log in but all my old emails, all the old folders are completely gone, only emails for yesterday show up and I can't even delete them.

AWESOME temporary fix...

Charlie99
Neighbour

I can log in but can't read or compose any emails, all generate a server error please try again.

How is this a temporary fix?

Tarosujimoto
Organizer

I guess telus should stop promoting sending their invoices via ebill  and go back to paper.

polecat
Ambassador

@Fisherguy  Yes we have gone paperless with our monthly bills so we receive an email that a bill is ready. Then we do all transactions with our bank . If conformation is needed that comes by email. A business will suffer badly unable to sign contracts, take orders, send diagrams, arrange a meeting,show new products,introduce new people to their client,it's endless. Some business have suffered and my thoughts are with them on what to do to not have this happen again to them. Polecat

Fisherguy
Advocate

@ColtenDavis, Have you seen this?  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/4-days-of-telus-email-outage-caused-by-data-storage-...

So, according to you (the smart guy 2019 hip guy), all these business owners should "chill out man" and "grow up"?  
Get your head outa your ass, this outage is costing people money!!  

polecat
Ambassador

@Tarosujimoto  Most companies offer paperless bills (cost cutting to stay in business) and inform you when it is ready. You make the choice because you have a computer to do that. A lot of people with mobility issues love it with fewer times to post office and not standing in line at the post or the bank to do their business. You must like paper so go bitch about Canada Post and not about the good services Telus offers. Breakdowns happen all the time with anything and always not at a good time.

Fisherguy
Advocate

@polecat 

"...the good services Telus offers", did you really just say that after all that has happened this last week"

People choose to have their bills emailed to them  because that  would mean  "fewer times to post office and not standing in line at the post or the bank to do their business'?? 
WTF?  I'm pretty sure most people do not have to stand in line at the post office to get their mail, isn't yours delivered to your home or to a mail box down the road?  

This may be a news flash for you but I'm pretty sure most people pay bills using online banking nowadays.  I'm guessing the only people standing in lines to pay bills are people who don't own a computer.

ThePopper
Advocate

I use Gmail and have not experienced any outage what so ever.

My Telus webmail was hacked a few years ago, moved to Gmail and no problems at all since the hack.

My other Telus services (Home Phone and Optik TV) - I've never had any problems with either, ever.

Tarosujimoto
Organizer

I of course prefer ebills and interac.  But when telus tries to foist its paperless billings on its customers, then fails in the reliability of its own  email system, it needs to reconsider the strategy.

2 telus email breakdowns in the last 3 months shows poor reliability and weak systems. The standard of service must be higher. 

I jokingly predicted a 1 week outage last Thursday.  It’s pretty sad that this prediction may come true.

the worst part is yet to come when Telus eventually  advises its  customers that some emails that were sent to its customers during the outage may never be received by them. 

Tarosujimoto
Organizer

Which good services are you referring to?  

Not email, that’s for sure. 

Dont even get me started on the perils of using telus email when traveling...... and the workaround for that is  “use a web browser.” 

couttsy
Neighbour
If messages have been lost, it is not necessarily all Telus's fault. The original Sendmail program anticipated that the receiving server might not be able to receive a message because of network issues. It would attempt to send a message for 5 days (default) before giving up and notifying the sender. I doubt there are many SMTP servers that do that today, but it does indicate that a good sending server will not just give up after a single attempt. How many servers can make that claim, and how many even bother to inform the sender that the message could not be sent? J.A. Coutts
polecat
Ambassador

Yes i find Telus service good for my needs. All emails that are important are down loaded every day. Not left on the cloud. I have cell/home phone/internet/ and tv and they work fine for me.One little bump does not make me want to change. Polecat