cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Wifi Hub or T3200 as AP

rupin
Neighbour

Hi there. I have both a T3200 and the round trash can wifi hub. My Nokia modem is in my basement but wifi upstairs is terrible, and I'd like to be able to stream from my xbox via remote play. I don't want to spend extra for wifi plus unless there is no other way.

How can I use one of these two routers as an AP on the second floor? I have ethernet ports running into pretty much every room of my house, so I can easily connect one of those ports to a LAN port on the first router (in the basement) and then run that to the WAN port on the second router. That's at least how I understand it:

Modem > WAN on router 1; LAN 1 on router 1 to WAN on router 2.

My question is basically:

1. Which should be the main router that is connected to the nokia modem? The trash can or the t3200?
2. Assuming the other one is then the AP upstairs (LAN from basement to WAN upstairs) what settings do I have to activate? I read about bridging etc. but not sure what to do here. 

Hoping this is possible. I'd prefer to have the wifi hub upstairs as the AP if possible, because my xbox in my basement refuses to connect via LAN to the trash can. Works perfectly fine with the T3200 but the trash can just won't connect to the xbox so I can't do remote play to my xbox. 

Sorry if the questions are all over the place, just hoping to find a solution. Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This has been asked several times recently. No the T3200 and the Wifi Hub cannot operate as APs. They will function as routers and there is no way to change that. If you did try use it as an AP, it would end up having double NAT and the Xbox will not be happy with that. You're better off just buying an AP. They're not that expensive if you go with Wifi 5. One example is only $40. The Wifi 6 version is $90.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This has been asked several times recently. No the T3200 and the Wifi Hub cannot operate as APs. They will function as routers and there is no way to change that. If you did try use it as an AP, it would end up having double NAT and the Xbox will not be happy with that. You're better off just buying an AP. They're not that expensive if you go with Wifi 5. One example is only $40. The Wifi 6 version is $90.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you for the quick response. Good to have a clear answer. I wanted to use the trash can as the wifi coverage is better inside my house, but for some reason my xbox just wont connect to it over LAN, guess I will just go back to the T3200 and buy an AP. Thank you @Nighthawk