cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus fibre service location

MDL87
Just Moved In
Hey guys,
So telus has recently installed fibre in our neighbourhood. Great right? Well i turns out where it enters our house is on the wrong side of the house, across from our furnace/panel room. It enters about half way up the wall in one of our basement bedrooms with no access hatch or anything.
They have come out to do the switch to fibre, and wound up leaving me with just a coil of fibre and said its up to me to get it fished thru to their hook up outside.
Since they just spend last summer trenching around all our houses would it not be up to them to move it to the other side of the house where all our other services come in?
Or am i going to have to tear open my wall and roof just to get it done for them.
I appreciate any and all insight from anyone who may have gone thru this.
Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kamak
Ambassador

First question. When you say they trenched around your houses last year. When they did this, why did you let them or why did they, trench on the wrong side of the house? Did they not know what side of the house the access panel for IT was on? Did they ask? Why wasn't the question asked then, and is only now being asked, a year later?

That said, it's really not that hard to fish cables from one side to the other. It will go through the joist channel, under the floor of your upper suite. Joists run side to side, and half way up your wall is approx where the joists are. You wont have to tear out anything. You just want to be in line, side to side, to the room/panel where they have to terminate

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

kamak
Ambassador

First question. When you say they trenched around your houses last year. When they did this, why did you let them or why did they, trench on the wrong side of the house? Did they not know what side of the house the access panel for IT was on? Did they ask? Why wasn't the question asked then, and is only now being asked, a year later?

That said, it's really not that hard to fish cables from one side to the other. It will go through the joist channel, under the floor of your upper suite. Joists run side to side, and half way up your wall is approx where the joists are. You wont have to tear out anything. You just want to be in line, side to side, to the room/panel where they have to terminate

MDL87
Just Moved In
Sorry what i ment by that was, on our street they were working all summer installing large green boxes and smaller circular ones in the ground, in the front of our houses, closer to the street. For the incoming fibre i was told.
No one actually trenched up to our house that i am aware of.
The question is only being asked now because, only recently have they offered to switch us over to fibre.

Where the pvc LB punches into our house is about 5 feet off the basement floor, so in the wall. Not in the joist space unfortunately.
Therefore the fibre would have to 90 degree turn immediately up the wall. Thru a small hole im assuming to get into the joist space.
From there it would have to go across the room, across the hall then into the furnace room where i actuallt have access to the joists. A good 12 feet i would say.

Thank you for your response.

I see. So didn't they ask or look for where the access panel actually is on the correct side of the house, when they did put these boxes out front, or were those boxes out front from the actual time of the construction of the houses? Dang. The pvc LB? when was that installed, at the time of them pulling cable up to the side of your house, or was always there? Could they put the pvc LB higher up? How did they get the cable up the side of your house? Was it put in underground conduit? Could they also move the pvc LB to a new location in-line with the access panel/room, making it a straight run across?

I just find it strange that they decided to willy-nilly locate a pvc LB box at a random location that makes absolutely no sense.