cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus email on MacBook broken - connections to host imap.google.com failed

Tony1000
Organizer

My Telus email account in Apple Mail on my MacBook just broke today. Was working fine up to yesterday, then just opened Apple Mail today and it had a "!" message beside the TELUS email account ("Powered by Google 🙂 The error message says "Connections to host imap.google.com on the default ports failed."  Didn't change any settings or port #'s. Seems something specific to my TELUS email account in Apple Mail on my MacBook. Everything else works fine - Telus email still works fine using a Gmail in a browser and Apple's mail app on an iPhone. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suspect you will need to configure an app password to remedy this. I needed to do this to get Outlook to work on my desktop systems:

Sign in with app passwords - Google Account Help

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suspect you will need to configure an app password to remedy this. I needed to do this to get Outlook to work on my desktop systems:

Sign in with app passwords - Google Account Help

Yes, that worked! Thanks Fuzzy!

Hey all, it worked for a couple days then my Telus email broke again in Apple Mail. So here's the story ...  Slightly different problem than before, now it was Send Mail that wasn't working. Receiving mail still worked. The error message was, "Cannot send message using the server ****@telus.net.  The sender address was rejected by the server smtp.gmail.com. The server response was: Authentication Required."  In Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts, tried re-entering the password multiple times, but no luck. Tried generating another App Password in Google, but still no luck. Finally, in the same message prompt as above, went into "Edit SMTP Server List", and found multiple entries for my ****@telus.net email address. Figuring this might be the source of confusion, I deleted them all, went back to Accounts, and removed the Telus email account (clicking the "-"). Am using IMAP so this only removes the account in Apple Mail, doesn't delete the actual Google email account. Then I re-added it using these instructions: 

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/set-up-email-on-devices. Briefly, it's Mail -> Add Account, then follow the steps. It does't require an App Password; you authenticate in a browser logging into Google and allowing MacOS access. And presto!  My Telus email account was back in action in Apple Mail. So not sure exactly what went down here, but fun waste of a nice afternoon with Telus email powered by Google 😬.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Gmail can be problematic configuring 3rd party mail clients. They want you to use a web browser or their client.

Hopefully you've got it sorted and won't need to mess with it any further.

We had the same problem: finally connected with 'real' support: he mentioned is may be a Google question and offered to get back to us in a few days: my email then was working with no follow-up on landline or text: you may have cleared up the mystery.  (I REALLY am miffed with the piggy-back business decision via Google: it is a rat's nest trying to get through to them).  Now my partners telus email is not working as of two days ago: will copy and print this for him (or try to send to the google mail on the browser!) What a circus!  Thank you so much for your sharing