Telus Boost Network Connection Dropping on iPhone XR and MacBook Pro

Resident

Did this get resolved with the firmware? How did you get the new firmware?

Highlighted
Connector

I haven't been able to my Boosters to upgrade to the new firmware. Perhaps I will have to call Telus and see if they have a way to push the new firmware to my Boosters.

Highlighted
Resident

My boosters have this update and its all still no good. I get asked to enter my wifi password on Macbook Pro and iPhone XR every day. Telus has no answers for me. Time to switch providers?

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Same issue - Apple devices 'forget' the password on Boosts... Interestingly, not all at once. You can move to another corner of the house (where another Boost is working) and connect fine.

So the workaround I have right now:

• T3200M is on a daily reboot schedule - I needed this before the Boosts came into the picture anyway, as the wifi sometimes gets flaky midway through the day. This is still true.
  • T3200M SSIDs are both (2.4, 5) hidden, and Smart Steering is off. Need this for older IoT devices, and for a backup when the main (Boost) wifi fails.  It's often better, but as I said, can be flaky too.
  • 2 of my 4 Boosts (I blame the ductwork in the house for the dead zones) are now on daily reboots (cheap mechanical timers).  We'll see if the others eventually need them too.

It's far from perfect, and numerous tech visits didn't help - they seem really resistant to replacing the T3200M. Each time they come by, they reset it, and "prove" to me that its behaving fine. Whatevs.

Highlighted
Neighbour
I installed it the Wi-Fi extenders about a month ago and in the last couple of weeks, it keeps asking for Wi-Fi password then saying incorrect password when it is correct. We’ve tried changing the password and restarting modem and extenders, it doesn’t help. Any ideas? Frankly don’t have time to do a 1hr phone call with support only to have to have a tech out to rectify.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

What type of devices are you seeing this on? (type of phone, computer, Mac, etc)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Neighbour

MacBook, Iphones, Ipads.  Everything says incorrect password.  It will sometimes connect for a while then disconnect after a few minutes sometimes an hour.

Highlighted
Neighbour

iPhone 8, iPhone 7, 2018 MacBook Air, 2019 iPad Air, 2017 iPad, 6th gen iPod are what disconnects.  Our Globe brand wi-fi light bulbs are also offline can't seems they can't connect as well.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is already a running discussion for this >>> https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-Home-Phone/Telus-Boost-Network-Connection-Dropping-on-iPhone-XR-...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Connector
The Globe brand WiFi bulbs only work on a 2.4 Ghz frequency. If you disable SmartSteering on the main router and connect you phone/ipad you should be able to connect to the bulb.

I've noticed if the bulb is off, it will tell you the bulb is off line. Once the bulb comes on, it will show online. This all assuming the bulb has been initially set up.
Highlighted
Resident

omg, literally the same issue for only one of the devices (mackbook pro) at home. wifi connection just keeps dropping only for this specific laptop. There doesnt seem to be any clear cut solution here tho 😥

Highlighted
Resident

I have the same problems ....I keep dropping connection with TELUS wifi boost and my iPhone XR....and other Apple devices.

oddly no problem on android devices....

gets better...get TELUS home security.....only to find out the TELUS booster wifi is spotty and the mobile phone connection also with TELUS when away is also not reliable....makes me wonder if TELUS has there act together.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

So my problem is solved... finally had the T3200M replaced with the Arcadyan, which meshes with the boosts.  (Actually replaced it because could not get it to go over 350Mb when I was on 750.)  Have not had the dropping issues since. Also seems to better handle the IoT devices that can't jump frequencies.

Anyway - not sure if we confirmed this, but are all of you on T3200s?

Highlighted
Connector

Yes, I'm using the T3200M as well. most of my devices are connected to it instead of the Boost as there seemed to be too many problems staying connected. I was thinking of changing routers as well.

I was thinking of going to this one, https://www.staples.ca/products/317890-en-asus-rt-ac68u-dual-band-ac1900-wi-fi-gigabit-router as I've got one at work and it just flat out works.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

But if you are using wireless Optik TV you still need to keep the T3200 radio active. I think that's part of the problem.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

I'm glad I saw this thread - I 'upgraded' to a boost wifi network to try to get better coverage across my property....typically I've always had a good connection in my house; however low connection quality in my garage.  Now with he boosts the signal strength is good, but I've been having the same issues as you guys.... signal drops and it won't accept my password.   It was bad enough that I couldn't use many of my older smart wifi-based products anymore...now this connection issue is making me rip my hair out...  

We have Optic TV, so I'm guessing we can't change our router?

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I'm assuming you have the T3200... Which is what I had. We also have Optik TV, with two wired set top boxes (over Moca)  and one wireless. It all still works flawlessly with the new Arcadyn (sp?) Modem.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You need to keep the T3200M for your Optik, but you could run the rest of your network from another router connected to the T3200M.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

I think I'll try that! Any chance you could share the model # of the Arcadyan Router that you picked up?

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

...Oh....and will this mean that my Tulles 'Boosters' will no longer be useful?

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Oh - and will this mean that my Telus 'Boosters' will no longer be useful?

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Sorry - my connection is so bad now that it keeps telling me I'm not connected to the internet when I try to post ....grrrrr My blood is boiling.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Arcadyan router is Telus supplied. Given the issues you are having, you could ask for a tech visit (to your driveway) and an exchange of routers.

The Boost devices connect to the Arcadyan router using it as the first connection point in your mesh.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Optik TV works fine without the T3200. Overall our wifi is better since we moved to the Arcadyan, in part because it works with the boosts seamlessly.

Highlighted
Connector
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

That model was discussed here previously. It does not work correctly with Optik since the Asus doesn't pass multi-cast data properly. That is also a 6 year old router.

Highlighted
Resident

MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) on macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and a 10.2-inch iPad Wi-Fi

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Got the Arcadyan router today and thus far my wifi connection seems to be better (fingers crossed).... one thing I'm not sure about was connection to my smart devices.... on my last router I had to have a 2.4Ghz network set up for some of my older wifi devices to connect to.  The technician told me he didn't think I'd have to change anything as he said the Arcadyan router would broadcast both 5G and 2.4G, but I seem to be having problems getting those devices to connect now.  

Logging into the router as an admin it *seems* as if there is a 2.4 GHz signal up and running (there is a page that says WLAN 2.4Ghz Radio Enabled)...... anyone have any idea what I need to do?  There is a Page that says "Smart Device Network" - SSID Enable? (Disabled at present)... could this have something to do with it?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you see @Nighthawk reply in this thread?

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks! Just took a look - it sounds like this is what I need to do.... the only problem I'm having now is that I can't seem to find the right page once connected to the router....