cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synology NAS

68Terra
Neighbour

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a Synology NAS with a Static IP Address using the Telus Modem ActionTec T3200M. I've tried DHCP Reservation using the MAC address and selecting an IP. I'm not very well versed in this area and was hoping someone has run into this before or can give me some guidance. Much appreciated!

68Terra

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

With my two NAS's and the T3200M, I have set specific IPs in the DHCP Reservation screen and they work fine. If you want to go the easier route, I would recommend choosing an IP that's not currently assigned to a device on your router. Like 192.168.1.125 or something higher. Just remember once set, you have to reboot the NAS to get it to pull the new IP address. If you choose a lower IP, you'll want to reboot all devices connected to the router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks Nighthawk! It worked.

However, now when I search find.synology 'no server found on local network'

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Make sure you update the settings on the Synology as well. If that doesn't work you may have to re-run the Synology Assistant.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I updated the settings and it didn't work so I tried re-running the Synology Assistant and it still can't find the server. I don't think it matters at this point since I have the server up and running with a static IP.

Are you sure you set it with a static IP within the network subnet set on the router? Did you also set the subnet to 255.255.255.0?

Hi Hoot, I reviewed the setup and it's a static IP with the same subnet you noted.

It's not clear whether you still have the DHCP reservation for the NAS. If you assign a static IP on the NAS you need to make sure the DHCP server doesn't give the same IP address to a DHCP client by adjusting the IP range. If you still have ethe DCHP reservation for the NAS you really don't need to set a static IP on the NAS.