cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub Pairing with Router

CanadianKodiak
Friendly Neighbour

Is it possible to wirelessly pair my Netgear router with my Telus Smart Hub?  I don't want to have to run an ethernet cable from my router to the Smart Hub.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Although I greatly appreciate your help I have to correct you on your last post just in case anyone else is attempting to do what I just did.  I purchased a wifi extender and was easily able to connect it to my Telus hub using WPS.  I then connected my Netgear router to the extender using an ethernet cable and voila!, everything is working as planned.  Thanks again for your help, though, it really is appreciated.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Early2Rise
Just Moved In

Not sure what you mean by pair,please clarify.

What do you want to use your Netgear equipment for ? Routing ? WiFi Access Point.

That will help me to answer correctly.

I'd like to wirelessly connect my router to my Smart Hub.  I have a home security system that requires wifi and has to be connected to my router via ethernet cable.  I'd like to connect my router to my smart hub without a cable.  Thanks for the help.

Essentially, I'm trying to connect my router and my hub using WPS but I'm not having any success.

That's not how WPS works, nor is it how two routers can connect to each other. WPS is for connecting end user wireless devices to a router.  You will need to use ethernet to connect the hub to your router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Could I pair a Wifi extender with my Telus hub and then use ethernet to  to connect my security base stations to that extender?

You cannot "pair" ANY networking device to the hub or any other router. Again, that's not how any of the technology works. It's not even called pairing. Bluetooth allows you to pair devices. WPS is simply a numeric pin that wifi based user devices can use to connect in place of a wifi password. If you are trying to connect a wifi based device to the wireless network, and that device supports WPS, then you can connect it using WPS. All others need the password. WPS is also horrifically insecure and should be disabled if at all possible.

A wifi extender will REQUIRE an ethernet based connection to the hub. The hub can't do mesh networking. Power line networking is also another way to connect the devices but an ethernet cable is usually a fraction of the cost.

Security base station? All you mentioned was the Netgear router.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Security base stations are connected to the netgear router using ethernet cable. That's why I need the router to be on wifi. But I get a better signal for the smart hub if I place it in a different location in my house...a location that is not near the netgear router. My understanding is that I can connect an extender to my smart hub using WPS, not an ethernet cable. I should then be able to connect my netgear router to the extender via ethernet.

Wifi just doesn't work the way you are currently understanding. WPS is simply a type of password so please understand that. Again, you cannot connect any networking device, router or a wifi extender to the Hub or your Netgear router router using wifi. Look into a power line networking kit.

Although I greatly appreciate your help I have to correct you on your last post just in case anyone else is attempting to do what I just did.  I purchased a wifi extender and was easily able to connect it to my Telus hub using WPS.  I then connected my Netgear router to the extender using an ethernet cable and voila!, everything is working as planned.  Thanks again for your help, though, it really is appreciated.

Which extender did you purchase?

TP-Link AC1750 Wifi Range Extender

Is it possible to connect a Netgear router to ZTE Telus smart hub? And if so will it fix my NAT type?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@DariusPetero - The answer is no. As @BillTelusCust said in a recent reply:

The world is out of public IPv4 addresses. That's why you have a "double NAT".  Until the world is fully on IPv6, you're likely to not find a good solution.  

From the FAQ: 

Can I play Peer 2 Peer (P2P) Online gaming with Smart Hub?

• The Smart Hub is currently not configured to support P2P gaming on any online gaming console including Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo. This is due to a limitation on the network.