cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSLv2-Drown Vulnerability

stonehorse
Coach

I did a network scan earlier today and the result was telling me the Actiontec T3200M modem/router is at high risk for SSLv2-Drown. The recommendation was to update the firmware. Logging into the router, I can find the firmware version (31.164.L.18) and date (12/11/2018) but I can no way to check for updates. Is this something that only Telus can do? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Drown vulnerability has nothing to do with your router. It has to do with the encryption over the internet between your PC or device and a target server outside your network. The vulnerability comes from the target server you connect to that is utilizing the older SSLv2 encryption. Telus doesn't allow users to remotely log in to their gateways remotely so there isn't a risk of this exploit being used there. If you have a server hosted somewhere, then you'd definitely want to ensure the configuration has SSLv2 disabled. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Normally updates are pushed to the modem automatically. There isn’t any way you can “check” for an update to install.

Got it. So Telus doesn't feel this particular vulnerability is an high risk issue? 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Drown vulnerability has nothing to do with your router. It has to do with the encryption over the internet between your PC or device and a target server outside your network. The vulnerability comes from the target server you connect to that is utilizing the older SSLv2 encryption. Telus doesn't allow users to remotely log in to their gateways remotely so there isn't a risk of this exploit being used there. If you have a server hosted somewhere, then you'd definitely want to ensure the configuration has SSLv2 disabled. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated. 😊