cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuickConnect home but ethernet ports are not wired and few questions

joyita07
Friendly Neighbour

I purchased a new-built townhome which is Telus pure fibre ready (quick connect). I called and activated my service.

But only the wifi is working since the ethernet cables are missing connecter heads and not connected to the Telus modem/router.

I called the building developer, he said all the cables are drawn to telus box it's now telus' responsiblity.

I called Telus and found that telus technician would charge 150$. Is that the definition of quick connect ready home?

I guess I have to call a technician to have the cables connecter head.

Also the wifi is very poor. If I'm standing next to it I get 200-300mbps. From main floor I get 20mbps and from top floor I get 5mbps only.

I took the 1 Gigabit connection. I was expecting some decent speed at least. Is this normal?

I guess I need to buy a new router and place it on main/top floor. But I need ethernet connectivity to do that. Can I set the telus modem work as bridge mode?telus.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unfortunately Telus has nothing to do with the wiring in the home which is why they would charge. It's all on the builder. Telus would make sure at least one connection is working as part of the install and usually wouldn't charge for that first one.

When I bought my place I found the builder's electrician messed up a pair of network jacks, (installed phone jack plates instead of ethernet) the builder had their electrician come out to correct the issue free of charge. I'd re-check with your builder as it sounds like their electrician didn't finish the install properly. It would not take them long to put ends on the cables assuming they wired the plugs elsewhere in the house correctly.

Putting connectors on ethernet cables isn't super difficult, isn't expensive, or that time consuming. Even non-electricians can do it with the right tools. You can get an entire kit for under $30. There's even a video tutorial on that page. You'd just have to make sure the order of the cables in the plug match the order in the wall jack elsewhere in your home.

Wifi speeds can be affected by environmental obstacles. Going through a few floors would definitely weaken the signal. You would put a wireless access point elsewhere in the house once the ethernet cables are fixed / connected. That is what I did and I left the Telus router as is. Did not bridge it. If you go for another router, check to see if that router is able to act as an access point only. That would allow all your devices to communicate with each other over the network still.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unfortunately Telus has nothing to do with the wiring in the home which is why they would charge. It's all on the builder. Telus would make sure at least one connection is working as part of the install and usually wouldn't charge for that first one.

When I bought my place I found the builder's electrician messed up a pair of network jacks, (installed phone jack plates instead of ethernet) the builder had their electrician come out to correct the issue free of charge. I'd re-check with your builder as it sounds like their electrician didn't finish the install properly. It would not take them long to put ends on the cables assuming they wired the plugs elsewhere in the house correctly.

Putting connectors on ethernet cables isn't super difficult, isn't expensive, or that time consuming. Even non-electricians can do it with the right tools. You can get an entire kit for under $30. There's even a video tutorial on that page. You'd just have to make sure the order of the cables in the plug match the order in the wall jack elsewhere in your home.

Wifi speeds can be affected by environmental obstacles. Going through a few floors would definitely weaken the signal. You would put a wireless access point elsewhere in the house once the ethernet cables are fixed / connected. That is what I did and I left the Telus router as is. Did not bridge it. If you go for another router, check to see if that router is able to act as an access point only. That would allow all your devices to communicate with each other over the network still.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I'd agree with @Nighthawk . You can get yourself the kit they mentioned, along with a tester and fix the cables yourself, or you're going to have to follow-up with the builder. It would be like leaving a light switch disconnected. BC Hydro isn't responsible for that, and in this case Telus isn't responsible for the network wiring in your home. That was the fault of your builder and their sub-trade. That said, since the wires are already run, it's not hard to deal with, as long as you have access to the other ends. 

Now that I can see @joyita07 's photo, I have a panel like that in my place but the builder / electrician installed a patch panel in there and terminated the ethernet cables to that. The panel linked isn't the exact one but it's very similar. I just had to run a few short ethernet cables from my Telus router to that panel.

RyDawg
Advisor
I honestly have no idea why Telus thinks it’s a good idea to stuff the Wi-Fi in a metal box where it will be degraded. It should instead be out in the open where the signal can reach. They definitely need to make the connection more accessible though the home.