cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureFibre ipv6 own router issues

Oricus
Just Moved In

I have PureFibre with my own router plugged directly into nokia ont. this works fantastic with ipv4, 0 issues! until I enable ipv6 in my router. It's able to get the ipv6 no problem and it works for a while but 30-60 minutes later my connection goes red. I need to reboot the nokia or disable ipv6 in my router. 

I have tried this with 2 of my routers both ASUS an AX11000 and XT8 . I have tried with multiple versions of the firmware, all with exact same results

If I use the Telus Router ipv6 works fine, if I connect my router in bridge mode exact same result. but if I connect my router in non bridge mode ipv6 works as expected (but double nat) and of course I do not want to use their router just so I get ipv6. 

Connection Type: Native

DHCP-PD: Enabled

Auto Config Settings: Stateless

Connect to DNS Server Auto: Enabled

Enable Router Advertisement: Enabled

Any one have some thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

On opnsense or pfsense you can run “/sbin/rtsol -a”, or replace the “-a” with the interface name for the WAN (igb0 or whatever it is). If you do this every 20 minutes or so it should keep the route active. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

nvv6
Organizer
You need to send a periodic router solicitation every so often to keep the route alive. Telus aren’t obeying the RFC on this and as far as I’ve seen only a couple of other ISPs in the world do this, so it doesn’t work with most routers out there except the newest Telus provided ones. If you can add a cron job and build a binary that runs on your router fixing this is pretty easy.

Edit: this only applies to some Telus neighbourhoods. I think most don’t have this behaviour but it does happen in north van and parts of Surrey I think.

I can run CRON jobs in Opnsense but am not to sure where to get started with this. Do you have any resources you could point me to so I could fix this issue?

On opnsense or pfsense you can run “/sbin/rtsol -a”, or replace the “-a” with the interface name for the WAN (igb0 or whatever it is). If you do this every 20 minutes or so it should keep the route active. 

Thanks! I will look into it