cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding

Inunotashio
Helpful Neighbour

I have Telus internet 150 with the T3200M and I have a Deco x60 connected to it for everything from wifi to hardwired connections. My problem is I'm trying to setup port forwarding, I have the port forwarding setup on the x60 but it doesn't do anything because from what i was told on another site I apparently have a network within a network. I was advised to enable bridge mode, which I did but I'm still unable to open those ports through port forwarding. Now I only have internet with Telus so I'm wondering if i can just eliminate the T3200M altogether and just let my x60 handle everything or if someone knows of a different solution. Any help is appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

xray
Hero

You need to reserve an IP address on the T3200M for your Deco X60 and then port forward the same ports to that IP address. Then the Deco can port foward to the other device on the inner LAN from there. You also need to set up a dynamic DNS service for your WAN IP that's on the T3200M so you can access it from the Internet.

Inunotashio
Helpful Neighbour

okay, I reserved an IP for my Deco and forwarded the ports to it. What does the DNS do in regards to port forwarding? and is that a service i need to pay for or is it just a feature i need to enable in the modem settings?

xray
Hero
Dynamic DNS is a service that helps you to keep track of the external IP address assigned to your Internet connection. Residential accounts do not have a static IP address so it can change over time. Google dynamic DNS to find out more. There are free services and paid services available.

Inunotashio
Helpful Neighbour

So doing the port forwarding on both didn't seem to do anything, do i need the Dynamic DNS for the port forwarding to work?

Inunotashio
Helpful Neighbour

Also would it be more convenient to just get rid of the T3200M altogether and just use the Deco x60 or would that mess up my internet altogether?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have fibre, no Optik or PikTV, and the Deco X60 is near the ONT, you can just connect the X60 to the ONT itself bypassing the T3200M. Dynamic DNS is not required for port forwarding to work. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I tried to eliminate the T3200M and it didn't work sadly

I was looking at another post on here and they said that the ONT cable should be connected to the WAN port on the Telus T3200M, now on my T3200M it has the connection coming in from outside downstairs then a cable runs to the upstairs living room where the T3200M is, then the cable was originally connected to LAN 1 but i moved it to LAN 2 for bridge mode, is this cable supposed to be in the WAN port?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bridge mode is only on LAN 1 on the T3200. In the bridging settings on the T3200 it says only Port1 so make sure the Deco X60 is connected to that port on the T3200. The only cable that needs to be in the WAN port on the T3200 is the connection from the ONT. If the cable from the ONT is connected to ANY of the LAN ports on the T3200, that will break things.

If you are talking about the Deco X60, you'll want to follow whatever the recommended setup procedure is for those devices and which LAN port to connect it to.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Ok interesting, so before i changed anything the cable that brought internet in was originally plugged into LAN1 then i had a second cable plugged into LAN2 going to the Deco. But because of bridge mode i switch the cables so that Deco was LAN1 and the cable bringing the internet in was LAN2. Should i change the LAN2 (internet in) cable to the WAN port?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you're talking the T3200, yes. The line in must be in WAN. If you've bridged the T3200, then the Deco has to be in LAN1.

ok, so I've changed that so now the internet in is connected to the WAN port, but for port forwarding it says the Deco IP address is out of range and not a valid IP

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may have to reboot your Deco units after the switch to the WAN port if they aren't picking up an new IP address automatically. Possibly the T3200 as well.

@Inunotashio wrote:

Ok interesting, so before i changed anything the cable that brought internet in was originally plugged into LAN1 then i had a second cable plugged into LAN2 going to the Deco. But because of bridge mode i switch the cables so that Deco was LAN1 and the cable bringing the internet in was LAN2. Should i change the LAN2 (internet in) cable to the WAN port?

With the ONT plugged into the LAN1 port instead of WAN port the T3200M was basically acting like a switch. That would explain why port forwarding on the T3200M didn't make any difference. Having said that it seems to me that port forwarding on the Deco should have worked.

If you don't have Optik service then just plug the ONT directly to the WAN port of the Deco and leave the T3200M out completely.

You also haven't provided any details on how you are testing to determine whether port forwarding is working or not.

Inunotashio
Helpful Neighbour
I'm using yougetsignal.com to see if the port is open, I tried plugging the ont cable directly into the deco but it won't give me internet. Their is 2 dsl lines plugged into the modem because they used to run to a separate box for optik TV but we haven't had optik tv in years.

I'm confused. You have 2 DSL lines connected to the T3200M and an ONT?

Can you access the web interface of the T3200M (usually 192.168.1.254)? If so

1. What WAN Type is indicated on the WAN Connection Status page?
  2. Does the Modem IP Address match the IP address you see from yourgetsignal.com?

When you say you tried connecting the ONT directly to the Deco which port on the Deco did you use?

Inunotashio
Helpful Neighbour

WAN type says DSL, and the IP matches yougetsignal. I just used LAN1 on the Deco because apparently it will just sense it and make whichever port you plug into the WAN port

You are not on Fibre service if the WAN Type is DSL. I'm curious why you have an ONT which is only required for fibre service and why it was even connected to your T3200M on the LAN1 port initially.

Since T3200M says you are on DSL there is no reason to connect the ONT to anything. Leave it out of your network.

The WAN IP address check I asked you to do verifies you are not behind carrier grade NAT.. In a non-bridged configuration port forwading on the T3200M to the Deco (reserved IP) and also port forwarding on the Deco to your server (reserved IP) should work. I'm doing exactly that right now at home to access my security DVR. 

The remaining question is what are you trying to access with the port forward? What device running what service? What ports and what protocols?

Inunotashio
Helpful Neighbour

okay interesting, Yeah we don't have fibre yet, every other street surrounding us has it but Telus has been dragging their feet for over a year with installing fibre on our street. And I'm just trying to setup a dedicated server for a game I'm playing with the boys. I need to open ports 8766 and 16261 on UDP, then ports 1626-16272 TCP

I assume you have verified those ports and protocols are correct for the game in question?

I also assume the game server was running when you checked on yougetsignal.com? Port test will always fail if nothing is listening on that port and responding.

Which port(s) did you test against? The server may not be listening on all ports all the time. Some ports are only used once a connection to a client has beed established. You need to test using the port the server is expecting initial connections to be made on.