cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding - port open but no traffic moves?

brydiver
Just Moved In

Hi there. I have a device inside my LAN that is answering on port 8080. I can connect to it at 192.168.1.xx from elsewhere within the LAN and the service is there and working.

Then I forwarded inbound WAN connections and set the rules for both TCP and UDP to forward that one port on my inside server.

I tried a few of those "Port Checker" tools on the internet e.g. https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and they can see that the port is Open.

So I try:
$ wget http://<mywanip>:8080

or try to point my browser at that and it just hangs. I chatted with Telus L1 Tech Team and they were able to hit my service ok, so we know the port-forwarding is working.

So my question is why can't I access this service from outside? I have done this several times before without issue, for gaming etc. It's a T3200M and I'm on unlimited fibre.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Bryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes - the service is accessible on the WAN IP only from outside. Bizarre. Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

This may be of use:

Opening Ports in a Actiontec T3200M Router (portforward.com)

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You won't be able to access a device hosted on your LAN by entering your WAN IP on a device on that same LAN. If you have one device that has either a VPN or a cellular connection, try that and connect to the WAN IP.  This is a known issue and the way Telus has their stuff configured for a long time. Front line tech support likely has no clue of this as they don't usually provide support for port forwarding.

I have a T3200M, and fibre, and I've been forwarding ports on it for some time.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Yes - the service is accessible on the WAN IP only from outside. Bizarre. Thanks!