cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Setup 1.5 Gbps - Questions about setup

boodog
Neighbour

Hey,

I just had my internet upgrade earlier this week, sadly I wasn't home during the install to ask any questions.

So when I came home I noticed I no longer had the 3200 and a access point for wireless tv boxes. It is now setup Nokia ONT -> Telus network access hub -> telus wifi 6. My speeds where 600-800 on speed tests.

So I noticed there are 4 ports on the Telus network access hub are they 1Gbps or 2.5gbs? I know there is a 10Gbe (this port is currently connected to my Nokia ONT) then the MoCA (I think should be 2.5Gps is running my tvs)

-Nokia ONT I am plug in port 1 what is the actual port speed I couldn't find any information if it is 1Gbps, 2.5Gpbs or 10Gpbs?

-First thing I did last night was run a new network cable for one of the tv, removing the need the for the telus wifi 6 box so that is now disconnected. 

-I have my own router (Asus AX88U which I know is limiting to 1Gbps so currently looking for upgrade) connected via MoCA adapter should I switch that to network cable I just ran directly to telus access hub?

-Is there a way to put a switch after the Nokia ONT that would allow multiple 10Gbs inputs?

Just trying to make the connection out best I can, I would take photo of the setup however the wiring from the tech is just beyond in need of cable management.

Overall setup:

fibre -> nokia ont -> telus network hub (connected to the 10Gbe port on hub and port 1 on nokia)

telus network hub - MoCA to ethernet adapters at 3 devices, two tv's then my router

telus network hub port 1 is running to a third tv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@boodog Wrote: So my question now becomes can I run a 10Gbps switch after the Nokia and run a line to telus network hub and router? 

Ok, this delves into a totally different area of configuration. First of all yes you can plug your aftermarket router into the 10Gbps port. However, and this is a big however, you will create what is referred to a double NAT. This may have consequences that are not desired. (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6277579?hl=en-CA#:~:text=A%20double%20NAT%20happens%20i....).

A better solution would be to place your device in what is known as "Bridged Mode" that allows the Telus signal to pass directly to your aftermarket router, and have it do all the routing/firewall activities for your network.

The MoCa 2.5 connection will still work for your TV devices in this scenario so no loss of ability there.

I would begin with searching YouTube for series of videos that may cover bridge mode and how to create a home network.  This stuff is not the most complicated to undertake, however, it can be somewhat daunting to a beginner. Luck with your endeavors here... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DrPacman
Rockstar

@boodog Wrote: So I noticed there are 4 ports on the Telus network access hub are they 1Gbps or 2.5gbs? I know there is a 10Gbe (this port is currently connected to my Nokia ONT) then the MoCA (I think should be 2.5Gps is running my tvs)

The 4 Ports are a 1Gbps series of ports. As well you are correct there is a single 10Gbps port which is the purple coloured RJ45 port. The MoCa port is indeed MoCa 2.5 running at 2.5Gbps.

Hope this helps identify the ports for you.... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

@DrPacman  thank you for the reply and confirming this information.

So my question now becomes can I run a 10Gbps switch after the Nokia and run a line to telus network hub and router? Or is it better get a GoCoax multi-gigabit MoCA2.5 Gig and connect that to router and leave the 10Gbps running to telus network hub

Also the router I am looking at upgrading to is Asus  ROG T-AX11000 Pro  which says it has 2.5Gbps or 10 Gbps port that can be WAN or LAN ( https://rog.asus.com/networking/rog-rapture-gt-ax11000-pro-model/ )

Or does anyone suggest any other models?

@boodog Wrote: So my question now becomes can I run a 10Gbps switch after the Nokia and run a line to telus network hub and router? 

Ok, this delves into a totally different area of configuration. First of all yes you can plug your aftermarket router into the 10Gbps port. However, and this is a big however, you will create what is referred to a double NAT. This may have consequences that are not desired. (https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/6277579?hl=en-CA#:~:text=A%20double%20NAT%20happens%20i....).

A better solution would be to place your device in what is known as "Bridged Mode" that allows the Telus signal to pass directly to your aftermarket router, and have it do all the routing/firewall activities for your network.

The MoCa 2.5 connection will still work for your TV devices in this scenario so no loss of ability there.

I would begin with searching YouTube for series of videos that may cover bridge mode and how to create a home network.  This stuff is not the most complicated to undertake, however, it can be somewhat daunting to a beginner. Luck with your endeavors here... Cheers...

@DrPacman Thanks again for replying. I will watch some more youtube videos and give some items a try.

I already put the telus network access hub into bridge mode, and moved it's ip to 192.168.0.x

so my router could stay on 192.168.1.x as that was the configuration I had before and didn't feel like changing ip's on all devices.

Guess this would just be easier if the ports on the network access hub were 2.5Gbps at least. I'll try some configurations and see what I get for speeds. I was just curious other people setup I tried searching here to see configurations and how they achieve max speed. 

@boodog Wrote: I will watch some more youtube videos and give some items a try.

Perfect, looks like you have this all well in hand... Cheers...