cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to fiber

62063e
Organizer

Fiber is coming to my neighborhood as I type 👍. What, if anything can I do in my home to make it easier for when the installer comes?

Currently my "Telus" comes into my electrical panel cupboard on  a telephone wire. It is converted/split (?) to an ADSL (?) wire that goes to a Telus WiFi T3200m modem, from which patch cables go to a wall terminal (RJ45  connectors) then to my various devices (with CAT5e) terminating again in RJ45 wall outlets. 

Am I correct in assuming that the fiber modem will have RJ45 outlets How many? Is there an option (or desirable) to go fiber all the way to my devices.. TV.. computer?

How big physically is the modem, is there a heat/cooling issue? As in, can I have the fiber modem placed in my electrical service cupboard, if there is room? 

Thank you for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero

There's not much to it. They run fiber to your house and connect it to the ONT. Then connect the ONT via Ethernet to the WAN port on the T3200M. Everything downstream of the T3200M stays the same.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Fibre ONT is about 150 x 200 x 30 mm, and can be placed in the cabinet. It would then likely be connected to your existing T3200M router. If you have a landline, it too, will be connected to the ONT.

Although in some circumstances the Fibre can be run to a more central location, it cannot be connected to your devices, nor will it be split to go to multiple endpoints; your Ethernet network accomplishes that task.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero

There's not much to it. They run fiber to your house and connect it to the ONT. Then connect the ONT via Ethernet to the WAN port on the T3200M. Everything downstream of the T3200M stays the same.