cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Gmail - Verify contact information

premcomp
Neighbour

Hi,

At the moment, I am attempting to help a friend, who is blind, migrate from the Telus mail system to Gmail.

She received the email inviting her to migrate, and to arrange a date for the migration, but when I am going through the process, I get to the point where it a says "We've sent you a verification code, it may take up-to 1 minute to receive it. " to verify the alternative email address we have entered, but the verification code never arrives. Until we get the email address verified, we cannot complete the procedure.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and how did you overcome it ?

Regards

GW

6 REPLIES 6

polecat
All-Star

@premcomp  I had the same problem they send a text to cell phone. I had to phone in took  forever by the time i was done over 4 hours. I am not impressed with gmail format it is has to many to many unwanted features for me. Cumbersome is my best evaluation.  Good luck helping your friend it is not going to be easy for you. I think i will look at a different email provider. I don't store any emails cleared out every day. if important i print it and put it in a binder. Polecat

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Silly question on my part, but is the cellular number of record held by the friend you are helping?

Can you switch to a recovery email instead?

Does this individual have another gmail address?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Hi NFtoBC,

She does not have a cell phone.

We are using another Gmail account she has, as the alternative email address, but when we tried to get the 6 digit verification code emailed to this alternative Gmail address, it never arrives.

I tried to do the resend of the code, and it also never arrives.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the mail transition server ?

GW

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@premcomp 

You could use your cell number for the verification code.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Here is an update on where we are at -

After spending the better part of two hours trying to get the form to verify the contact information. It still failed regardless of the email address or cell phone number entered.

I went online with the chat, and someone from Support tried to do what we were doing, but failed. However, she said that she would manually register the request to changeover to Gmail on August 25, and that we would receive notification to the alternate email address.

Fast forward to August 25, when nothing had happened, and when the wizard was still asking her to choose a date to change her mail to Gmail, she contact Telus support, who said no problem your email has transferred and that it is working. The technician "proved" it by sending an email, but when I checked it out, there was no mail on Gmail, and her mal was still on webmail.telus.net .So the agent lied. 

After that, I called their support myself, had to wait an hour to get to speak to a first-line support. I was not with him long because I did not want to go through the same explanation again. I spoke to his superior, and she tried to arrange a call from someone one on the Escalations team today (Friday), but when have yet to get our chance to speak to her. So the mail transfer problem has still to be resolved.

Is there anyone out there I can speak to on behalf of my blind friend. And when I mean speak to, I mean not have to wait an hour and a half in a phone queue before I speak to someone who can resolve the matter and get the mail transferred before the automated transfer happens.

Just one Telus person please ....

Regards

GW

polecat
All-Star

@premcomp @NFtoBC  My problem was 1 year prepaid cell with data turned off. used house number can't text me. 2 gmail one i didn't know existed the other  was compromised somehow. Trying to get rid of bad gmail address now. The teck was really helpful for me. The good gmail was for fixing a password.  My bad