cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lagging with excellent ping

JujhaarSekhon
Advocate
When I’m playing call of duty I start lagging even though I get around 20 ping. I’ve reset my modem and I still lag.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There could be a number of different things that could be causing it. Resetting the modem isn't going to be one of the solutions. Some examples of what could contribute to the problem:

• Intermittent packet loss
  • Server side issues
  • Issues at any one of the many nodes between your gateway and the game server
  • Issues with the game itself
  • Playing while using a VPN
  • Possible though unlikely issues with your router or actual connection.
  • Someone else in the house torrenting or uploading enough data to saturate the connection
  • Latency spikes depending on how the game handles other players in the same session but who have high latency.
  • Your PC can't handle running COD properly, which includes hardware issues as well as if there is background software running on it that is interfering with the game's performance.

Without more information, it will be extremely difficult to identify the problem or possible solutions if any since a number of the issues are beyond Telus' control.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There could be a number of different things that could be causing it. Resetting the modem isn't going to be one of the solutions. Some examples of what could contribute to the problem:

• Intermittent packet loss
  • Server side issues
  • Issues at any one of the many nodes between your gateway and the game server
  • Issues with the game itself
  • Playing while using a VPN
  • Possible though unlikely issues with your router or actual connection.
  • Someone else in the house torrenting or uploading enough data to saturate the connection
  • Latency spikes depending on how the game handles other players in the same session but who have high latency.
  • Your PC can't handle running COD properly, which includes hardware issues as well as if there is background software running on it that is interfering with the game's performance.

Without more information, it will be extremely difficult to identify the problem or possible solutions if any since a number of the issues are beyond Telus' control.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I play on a ps4 slim and their are no tasks running in the background. I also checked my internet speed where my ps4 is located and I’m getting around 200 mbps

Consoles are whole other issues. Is your PS4 on wifi or is it connected using ethernet? 200mbps sounds like wifi to me. If it is, there are many environmental factors in an average residence that can and do affect wireless performance. Wired is always best. With the PS4 it's a lot harder to diagnose issues on the connection between your house and the game server.

Have you tried Googling PS4 and COD lag issues? There isn't a shortage of results. One version of COD on PS4 is known to match players based on skill rather than latency. That can easily have unexpected performance results. Recently other players have been reporting random lag spikes in COD as well.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll also want to test the speeds from your PS4 and not using a device near it. They can have very different results. Same goes for latency. How are you testing that?

I use wifi for playing cod and my wifi booster is right beside my smart tv. Can the tv affect my wifi?

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 11:34 AM Jujhaar Sekhon < [email protected]> wrote:

I was a Shaw customer since the outset of Cable Internet.  I moved over to Telus last year and could not believe the lag in games.  Night and day difference.  I was an average 3.3 K/D on Shaw and it has dropped to 1.4 on Telus.   Die a lot more on Telus .  Shaw highly out performs Telus Optik when it comes to gaming.

IN my case I unplugged Shaw, and plugged in Telus in the exact same network, so all the stuff Nighthawk rattled on about is not applicable in my case.  It was an A to B switch.  Telus blows when it comes to gaming.  I moved my sons place back to Shaw.