cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet 25 speed

mike101
Just Moved In

I did a speed test and the results are download 11.1 mbps and upload 2.9 mbps. Is that acceptable for 25 speed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
The issue with apartments is the abundance of wireless networks. That many networks in close proximity will result in slower wireless speeds due to congestion. Even on 5Ghz though it is less of an impact since there aren’t as many 5GHz networks in range here. My wireless speeds vary depending on time of day. I have seen 10-11mbps or lower on a couple occasions, and I’ve seen it hit 25mbps as well. That is even when testing 10ft from the router with multiple devices. I’ve even tried other third party wireless access points and they’ve all had similar issues and speeds.

Wireless speed is never guaranteed because there are so many environmental factors that can affect it. If you called tech support, part of the troubleshooting is to connect physically to the Telus router to test the speed. It’s quite likely your connection is connected at 25mbps but your wifi is experiencing interference from the other networks near by slowing it down.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Wired or wireless? Also how / where are you testing your speed? I do have 25mbps and when I run a hardwired speedtest I typically get around 29.6 mbps / 6.54mbps. On wireless it's definitely less but that's only because I have a minimum of 40 other wifi networks close by in my building.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

thank you for your response. my computer is wireless from the router to my computer. The telus technician told me I had a direct line to my apartment from the central server.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
The issue with apartments is the abundance of wireless networks. That many networks in close proximity will result in slower wireless speeds due to congestion. Even on 5Ghz though it is less of an impact since there aren’t as many 5GHz networks in range here. My wireless speeds vary depending on time of day. I have seen 10-11mbps or lower on a couple occasions, and I’ve seen it hit 25mbps as well. That is even when testing 10ft from the router with multiple devices. I’ve even tried other third party wireless access points and they’ve all had similar issues and speeds.

Wireless speed is never guaranteed because there are so many environmental factors that can affect it. If you called tech support, part of the troubleshooting is to connect physically to the Telus router to test the speed. It’s quite likely your connection is connected at 25mbps but your wifi is experiencing interference from the other networks near by slowing it down.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can run a speed test from the Telus My Wi-Fi app. It's under Network>Speed Test. This will give you speeds between your router and the internet. Wi-fi speeds can be considerably less depending on your environment.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.