cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup Telus modem in bridge mode to add another powerful router?

joyita07
Friendly Neighbour

Thinking to get the AX6000 router. How can I use the Telus modem in bridge mode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It usually isn't necessary to bridge the Telus router. You just need to make sure the AX6000 isn't using the 192.168.1.x address range. I believe the AX6000 defaults to 192.168.0.x so that shouldn't have any issues.

If you have Optik TV, you'll probably want to ensure the Optik boxes are connected to the Telus gateway. Optik does not work through many third party routers.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It usually isn't necessary to bridge the Telus router. You just need to make sure the AX6000 isn't using the 192.168.1.x address range. I believe the AX6000 defaults to 192.168.0.x so that shouldn't have any issues.

If you have Optik TV, you'll probably want to ensure the Optik boxes are connected to the Telus gateway. Optik does not work through many third party routers.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

joyita07
Friendly Neighbour

@Nighthawk but won't it create two different wifi ssid?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, it will create separate SSIDs. Bridging the Telus gateway is different than disabling wifi on it. I ran with three SSIDs for a very long time and had no issues at all. You can basically choose which network you want your devices to join.

oldcollegeguy
Friendly Neighbour

if you have Telus Pure Fibre and DO NOT HAVE Optik TV and have a Nokia G-240G-A white ONT, connect your router to the cat5 that was connected to the paperweight they call a gateway.

I've heard of people even plugging the SFP ONT into 3rd party routers and it works just fine. 

no more messing around. why put that POINT OF FAILURE into the mix? 

D'OH! Too bad about the Optik thing, I have the Nokia and would do that in a heartbeat.... I bridged my 3200 and have had no issues at all but it would be nice to not need it.

oldcollegeguy
Friendly Neighbour
All Telus cares about getting your money. They dont care about you or your network. Its security risk (a hugh one) letting them know what is connected and how. Dont beleieve me? Ask to know what is connected and how its connected to their network.