cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Fiber into my Condo unit

Achien
Just Moved In

Recently purchased a condo unit that I thought had fiber already. Turns out, the building has fiber and my neighbors have it but my unit specifically does not. Is there any way to get it added to my unit?

1 REPLY 1

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Normally when a building is wired for fibre, it is wired to every unit. Telus installs a box above the door to each unit in the hallways, if fibre was added after the building was built. If they installed it using this method, you'll see a box like the following in the hallways above the doors to each unit:

fibre.jpg

There would typically be a little white plastic plug on the wall above the doorway inside the unit where the fibre would be pulled into the unit. 

If the building is more recent, it may have been run to units through a smart telecom panel where fibre/coax/ethernet all meet.

If the building was wired up but the previous unit owner just didn't have Telus service, Telus will send out an installer and get things hooked up. If there was never a fibre run to the unit, that would be a little more complicated but the installer would need to be on site to confirm.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂