cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i get telus fibre to my townhouse if the other residents wont allow it?

msantore22
Just Moved In

Hi, my name is Mario, i've been a long time, long time customer of telus. With having had a cell phone with telus for over 15 years, with multiple devices on my account. my bill is like $400/month. and i always pay it on time. and right now im finding it extremely frustrating to get any help  with with getting fibre service to my condo.

I live in a condo complex. where all the neighboring houses all have fibre services in londonerry area of Edmonton.
I've tried calling telus on multiple occasions to get fibre services installed to my unit. right now my only choice of internet is shaw. and i absolutely hate that im forced to use their Fake "fibre services" yes i know that most of their network is fibre based. but their last mile uses docsis which isnt not real fibre. its not even fibre. its coaxial.

Here's the story so far:

i've wanted fibre ever since they first announced it a few years back. i pushed my condo board to get a call out to telus to get fibre installed to the complex. they gave me the around around a bunch of times until finnally i gave up my condo voting privileges to  another member in the complex who could vote on my behalf to have fibre installed to the complex. then in summer time 2020 i noticed they announced we'd soon be getting fibre. i was so happy you wouldnt believe. we had a telus rep come to my door i signed that authorization form as fast as i could. then i waited.

and then waited some more. waiting and waiting. then in Fall 2021 after they said fibre was coming the summer of 2021, i tried following up , and i got a message from someone that said that half the complex said no to fibre. even though the condo manager and condo board said yes. half the residents said no, or did not respond. and apparently that was considered enough to cancel the install. now if half the residents said no, and the other half said yes, then why couldnt the half that said yes just receive fibre? WHY ARE WE AT THE MERCY OF THE RESIDENTS WHO SAID NO? there are 155 units, and 60-80 units did not give permission while the other 75-95 units said yes. and to be clear these are townhouses not apartment buildings. theres nobody above me or below me. so that shouldnt stop telus from wiring each unit individually right? that to me clearly sounds worth the effort for telus to do an install., but apparently not to telus.

Is there anything i can do to get fibre just to my unit only? my townhouse happens to be about 20-30 feet from the nearest telephone poll, i'd be willing to pay for it, even if it costs $3000 to do so.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kamak
Ambassador

I would have to assume Telus deemed it too costly to just hook up a few or even if it were actually half the complex. They probably have to bring in a Node box thingy first (super expensive) then from that they have to sign up enough customers "immediately" to justify this semi-major infrastructure install) I  highly don't think it is as simple as pulling individual fiber lines from the non-"existing fiber supported poll(s)". 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

kamak
Ambassador

I would have to assume Telus deemed it too costly to just hook up a few or even if it were actually half the complex. They probably have to bring in a Node box thingy first (super expensive) then from that they have to sign up enough customers "immediately" to justify this semi-major infrastructure install) I  highly don't think it is as simple as pulling individual fiber lines from the non-"existing fiber supported poll(s)". 

It's all good. I posted this a month ago. And literally 1 week after I posted they announced we'd be getting fibre. My unit is being hooked up between June 13th and June 22nd.

It's funny because I heard nothing for months before this post. Maybe I this post was all that was needed.

The telus gods have heard me. And I am thankful for that 😄