cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone on fibre during power outage

TopCat
Just Moved In

Telus recently 'upgraded' my home phone from copper to fibre using the Alcatel-Lucent ONT. All was well until a power outage occurred in my neighbourhood, and the home phone died (internet too, with no ONT power). The sales person said there would be battery backup to handle this situation, but the 'btry' light on the ONT is not even lit. Is there supposed to be a battery in these things?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

polecat
All-Star

@TopCat  The ont has no batt copper has voltage on it fiber none. When i put my home phone on fiber  (we had a very bad copper connection for years Every rain storm bad noise)  I asked for a battery backup for the ont and they installed it free. I had no cell phone at the time we have medical conditions.  You need a older phone to use during outages  (push button at the source 10 to 20 $ ).  Cordless will not work the base needs 120 volts.  The router will not work for internet  wifi needs to be plugged into 120 volt. With little phone use backup should last 12 to 36 hours. Regular  generators do not supply a good constant 60 cycle sine wave and will wreck the  ont  router and the tv. Called modafied sine wave  (square wave 60 cycle)  Inverter generators are high in price. You will have to ask for the unit. Polecat

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

polecat
All-Star

@TopCat  The ont has no batt copper has voltage on it fiber none. When i put my home phone on fiber  (we had a very bad copper connection for years Every rain storm bad noise)  I asked for a battery backup for the ont and they installed it free. I had no cell phone at the time we have medical conditions.  You need a older phone to use during outages  (push button at the source 10 to 20 $ ).  Cordless will not work the base needs 120 volts.  The router will not work for internet  wifi needs to be plugged into 120 volt. With little phone use backup should last 12 to 36 hours. Regular  generators do not supply a good constant 60 cycle sine wave and will wreck the  ont  router and the tv. Called modafied sine wave  (square wave 60 cycle)  Inverter generators are high in price. You will have to ask for the unit. Polecat

Thanks, @polecat, that explains a lot.  I have a couple of APC UPS's, so I think I'll just use one of them. I probably won't get 12 hours since I'll likely succumb to the temptation to put the router and the ONT on there. Perhaps more like a few hours, but that should cover infrequent blackouts. Thanks again.