Has anyone had a successful, pain free migration to Google Mail?

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Oldislander  Can you still access telus webmail i can't. Polecat

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
I can not log in or send mail or receive but all of my Mailboxes are sitting there.

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Oldislander  Can you open them and read them.  I printed some important ones needed the numbers. The rest i don't care. Polecat

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Oldislander said "I can not log in or send mail or receive but all of my Mailboxes are sitting there"

If you cannot log in, I suspect you could not download those mailboxes with Thunderbird, because Thunderbird needs to log in to get them. However, if they still exist, Telus should be able to move them to your new Google mail. 

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Oldislander  What site are you seeing these mailboxes and if you see them can you open them up.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
I contacted Telus and they were having a problem with the transition. They were going to do it "by hand" over a week ago and I have not heard from them and the mailboxes are still in Telus instead of Gmail where they belong.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
They are still on my Telus mail. But I need them in Gmail to store and save similar mail that I do not want to lose...like banking.

Highlighted
Connector

@Oldislander 

I don't understand how you can see your mailboxes in Telus webmail without being logged in.  When you say you can't log in, are you talking about Telus webmail?

It seems to me that if the mailboxes are still with Telus then they must be on Telus's servers and not yet on Google's.  If what you crucially want to achieve is to have copies of your old messages, then it might be worth the experiment to see if you can download them to a 3rd party client.  And it would be an experiment that might fail.  

If you have Windows and/or Microsoft Office, you already have either Outlook or Windows Mail in one of their various versions.  Or you could download, install, and use Thunderbird.  

I just tried creating a new POP account in Tbird.  Tbird can do that either automatically or manually.  When I chose the automatic route it filled in the settings for incoming mail with pop.gmail.com, which is not what we want.  When I changed to select Manual Configuration I could change the incoming mail setting to pop.telus.net, which is the one we want to test.  When I chose the "re-test" button, it confirmed that the settings were workable, although I did not go so far as to download any of my mail into an account that I don't actually want.

The settings that Thunderbird filled in for me during the test are:

Protocol:

Highlighted
Connector

@Oldislander 

Sorry.  The previous post got away from me.  As I was saying:

The settings that Thunderbird filled in for me during the test are:

Protocol:  POP3

Server:  pop.telus.net  (This is for incoming mail.)

Port:  995

SSL:  SSL/TLS

Authentication:  Kerberos/GSSAPI

Username:

To complete setting up the account, even though you won't actually be using it, you will need to include the settings for sending mail.  They are:

Protocol:  SMTP

Server:  smtp.telus.net

Port: 465

SSL:  SSL/TLS

Authentication:  Normal password

Username.  

If you press the Test or Re-test button, Tbird should tell you that the configuration is recognized by the server.  Now, whether or not a Checking Mail will work is another question.  Especially since you want it to capture mailbox folder names as well as messages.  

The settings should work for Outlook or Windows Mail if you already have them.  The whole experiment is just that, but if it works it will give you copies of your messages that you can refer to even if Telus never gets your migration to Google sorted.

Good luck.  Let us know what happens. 

Highlighted
Connector

@Rick81 @Richmark40 

While I sympathize with both your situations, I have nothing to contribute in the way of help.  Sorry. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

It seems to me that there are two basic ways to hopefully survive the conversion from Telus mail to Telus Gmal. There are pros and cons to each, and it is worthwhile thinking about which will work best for you.

1. Use 3rd party email like Thunderbird set up for POP downloading of email. This program downloads all your new mail to Thunderbird and keeps a copy on your local hard drive. When it downloads the email it is then gone from the Telus Webmail server, and it only exists on your local hard drive. The big advantage of doing this, providing you check right before are transitioned that all your Telus mail is downloaded, and nothing remains on the Telus server, is that you are in control of your data, and Telus can't lose it. Then after the Telus Gmail account is set up, you create a second account in Thunderbird that links to the Gmail account. I think it makes most sense to use IMAP for this new account. That way you can take advantage of the web based Gmail that allows access from your phone or tablet, or browser. Thunderbird will mirror any changes you make locally in Thunderbird to the Gmail account and vice versa. Your old POP style account now essentially becomes dead historic data. You can still access it, and if you really want you can copy email from it to your new Gmail account in Thunderbird, and it will be mirrored up to the Gmail account. I have not done that though.

2. If you are a Telus Webmail only user or possibly are using an IMAP connected third party app, your email is then stored only on the Telus server. Your fate then is totally in the hands of Telus. You are depending on them to successfully transfer all your email from the Telus server to the Gmail server. IF they do that properly it is probably the most painless and least disturbing method. But, if you view the many posts here, it seems that Telus does not always do the job well. After the transition is made, then you can still use a third party program like Thunderbird. Using IMAP it lets the email reside both on your computer and on Gmail. The only real difference is in the reliability of getting there...

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
Thanks for the info. Have been considering trying Thunderbird if I have nothing to lose in the process.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

Thanks for the detailed information.   I am thinking of trying Thunderbird for use on my iMac as I am not a fan of Gmail;   even with mailboxes, it would not by my second choice after Telus. 

Highlighted
Rockstar

@RonAKA @Oldislander  I am totally gmail (gsuite) So my gripe is storing emails in a folder or what ever and that email is not connected to all the mail like in gmail also having all emails for days weeks hanging around in all mail. I like a clean email platform like webmail was an easy to use and not having gmail going yoho u have read all your mail. Delete all mail and you delete mail in labels the pits. I want my storage safe within the email platform and not on another google platform. Will thunderbird do this for me. Polecat

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
That is what I am wondering as well. I am seriously thinking of downloading Thunderbird and if all the files and drafts can be safely transferred, then I will scrap Gmail and Telus...neither works for me at this time. I wonder how many other Telus customers are running into the same problems?

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Oldislander  I have a buddy that knows this stuff and i am not rushing to switch until sure of what i am getting into. Probably get a brand new email address and transfer my contacts by hand if need be. I would cancel all other email platforms.that is my hope anyway. Polecat

Highlighted
Ambassador

@polecat, I am not sure I follow what your concerns are with gmail or Gsuite. I don't know that much about Gmail as it is all new to me. So far what I have done is create a few folders in Thunderbird as was my practice with the former Telus server mail. These show up as folders in Thunderbird and Labels in Gmail. My email handling method is to leave everything in the Inbox until I deal with it by either deleting it or moving it to one of my folders. And I really only do that in Thunderbird. I just use Gmail on my iPhone for convenience when away from my computer and really don't do much in it, other than read an email, or delete it, and occasionally reply. With Thunderbird and IMAP a copy of each email is kept on both the Gmail server, and on my hard drive. More than one Label can be applied to one email in Gmail. In Thunderbird you can only put your email in one folder. Not sure what Thunderbird would do if you applied more than one label to a single email. Have not tried it. In short, Gmail is more powerful, and more complicated in this respect. Thunderbird is simpler, and what I like...

As for the old Telus Webmail, I really don't remember much about it. I only used it a few times a year when traveling. 

To be clear, Thunderbird is just an email client software and there is no Thunderbird server that stores your email. You still need an email serveer account like the GSuite one from Telus, or plain old Gmail. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Oldislander as I mentioned to @polecat Thunderbird has no mail server. You still need to get that service elsewhere. It can't be Telus any longer as they have killed it. It could be Gmail, or perhaps Hotmail, but that seems to be falling out of favour, and of course there is the GSuit Gmail which Telus has created for you. My thoughts would be, especially if you do most of your email on a computer, is to download Thunderbird and try it with an IMAP interface to your new GSuite Gmail account. You will not lose anything from Gmail, and everything there will be copied to Thunderbird. Then you can try it to see if you like it. If you only do email on your computer, you will never have to look at Gmail, but you could with the browser. Or you could with a Gmail app on a phone. 

The process to set up the Thunderbird program is give by Telus at this link:

Set up TELUS email on your computer using Mozilla Thunderbird

Highlighted
Rockstar

@RonAKA  Thanks for your info i am not up on this email stuff so i think i will leave it as it is for now and explore thunderbird . It looks kike an easier format to use. TKS polecat

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
Thanks! I will download it and see what happens. As long as I don't lose my mailboxes in transition, I have nothing to lose. I am also looking at Outlook for my Dell laptop, which has Microsoft although I only use mail on it when I travel....which is not too often these days.

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

A wise move!  My wife has her own computer and Telus email and she is waiting until Telus forces the issue...in October.   By then, maybe they will have the bugs ironed out.

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Oldislander  The emails i lost did not matter to me. I printed several important ones and put them in a binder and will probably keep doing the same with gmail. For the amount of mail we get not going to change.The wife is used to it now so ok. We don't use a cell to access mail its a prepaid for travel safety only. With this virus thing i am finding that i pickup the phone and talk to people instead that way not waiting for a reply.  Most emails are news things that get deleted every day.  Good luck with your transfer. Polecat

Highlighted
Connector

@RonAKA 

Thanks for the summary.  I will use it as the basis for advising some friends on how to prepare for the migration.

@Oldislander 

As RonAKA says, 

"To be clear, Thunderbird is just an email client software and there is no Thunderbird server that stores your email. You still need an email server account like the GSuite one from Telus, or plain old Gmail." 

You will NOT have an email address (for example) oldislander@thunderbird.com .  Mozilla (the company that makes Thunderbird) is not an email service provider.  Your email address will still be oldislander@telus.net but behind the scenes your mail will be collected on Google servers waiting for you to view and/or download it.  

If you install Thunderbird you will be able to download email without looking at the Google Mail site at all.  Your password lets Thunderbird speak to Google without actually opening the Google Mail interface in your browser.  But the mail is still there in Google and you could still log in to your Google account (the one the migration is forcing you to create) in your browser and see it there.  This is no different from the way Telus webmail operated, but it wouldn't have been obvious to you if you never used a 3rd party email client.

Installing Thunderbird lets you hold and control email on your own computer.  Note that if you store email on your own computer, you are then responsible for backing it up to someplace safe (an external drive or a paid backup service in the cloud).  So, if you try the experiment I proposed and download your existing messages into a POP account it will then be up to you to back them up.  They will no longer be on Telus or Google's servers.  However, the experiment was only hoping to capture the emails that have not transferred, not any mail going forward.   They would be an archive of your old messages, which you said above were important.  

When you create the new account in Thunderbird to handle your mail going forward, you will be able to both receive and compose/send messages.  I think I am right in saying that if you create this account as a POP account your sent messages will not appear in the browser Google view of you account because your actions are not mirrored in a POP account.  If you make it an IMAP account, your sent messages will be mirrored in the Google Mail view in your browser.  

NOTE:  I know nothing of Apple or Macs, so don't rely on what I've said here if you proceed in that direction.  Do your own research.  

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Oldislander said " I am also looking at Outlook for my Dell laptop, which has Microsoft although I only use mail on it when I travel."

If you are thinking about accessing your GSuite Gmail with Thunderbird on one PC and with Outlook on another, I am not sure that will work. It may, but I have not tried anything like that. I am also not sure if you could access the same Gmail account with two different PC's with Thunderbird installed. My plan is to use the Gmail app on my phone or Gmail via a browser when I travel. 

Highlighted
Rockstar

@RonAKA  Thank you for more info about  email platforms. Possible conflicts with devices in the house.  I don't want any more problems Tks  again Polecat

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
Downloaded Mac mail and now can access Telus mailboxes and receive and send mail. Not sure why or how, but will enjoy it while it lasts.
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Re: Telus regular Email changed to Telus Google Mail
We are a small business and have just been migrated from our very reliable MS OutlooK 10, including use of offline folders, many contacts, the ability to print in a letter format and actually be able to read the print with out a magnifying glass. No one has assisted or given actual one on one guidance with their transfer to Telus Google Mail. We do want to try to find apps that might help with printing or things like this. Still waiting for the promised transfer of contacts or how to connect to our many offline folders.
Spent many hours several times on hold to no avail. Now have read that there is no way to reconnect to the offline folders. As well another comment stated to get past tier one help - it must be paid for?!
Seems no one can assist - you are on your own! We can’t even get back into our previous MS Outlook 10 program on our own computer to at least go through our offline folders!
Please bring back the previous reliable system!!
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Please to note for BA2020.
I missed out the most important word in my post approx 8 hrs ago!
We DON’T want to try to find suitable apps that “might” be able to help with printing or email formatting or needed to open attachments, etc.
We do not have a lot of computer knowledge at all. We are not pleased.
We are now only receiving in box email to which google has already sifted through the inbox putting what they think is important to us into the inbox and rest into other folders - oops now called “labels”?! This pre-sifting of our mail should not be done at all it should be left up to the email user to decide what's important for themselves.
Still not able to get through to Telus as to finding contacts and help with offline folders. EGADS!!
Highlighted
Ambassador

@BA2020 

First off, I am not from Telus, and I am not sure anyone here is. We are just users of the Telus services in most cases. I am retired and not so young any longer either. I did not ask for this migration to Gmail either. But, it does have some advantages, but certainly comes with the pain of having to make changes. The up side is that you do not have to notify everyone that your email address has changed. 

On the print size for Gmail that is a common problem for new users. When you want to print an email make sure you use the Print Icon just to the right of the title of the email. See the icon highlighted in yellow in the snip below.

RonAKA_0-1599963484872.png

This icon will bring up a print preview page which will show you what the printed page looks like. If it is not filling the page as you like, then scroll down to More, and then to Scale. In the scale set it to Default. 

That is the simple part. Not having access to Outlook or your offline folders is more puzzling. If you created folders in Outlook and they were saved on the Telus server, then it will be Telus that has to give you access to them.

I have not used Outlook for 10 years or so, and cannot help you much with it. It appears that if you want to continue to use Outlook you have to download a file and do some setup to access the new Gmail account with Outlook. Here is a link that explains how to do it. You need to check you have a suitable version of Outlook before proceeding. Normally you select Help in your Outlook, and it will show you what version of Outlook you have. Here is the link:

Set up TELUS email on your computer using G Suite Sync for Microsoft® Outlook®

Hope that helps some,

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
I am not the least impressed with gmail and do not appreciate being forced to use it by Telus, particularly when the Telus technicians have no idea how to make the complete transition. Having said that I have downloaded Mac Mail and can now use the old Telus mail with all my saved mailboxes.