cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hairpin Nat on Telus WIFI hub modem

BriannaJoyy
Just Moved In
How does one turn on hairpin nat? I can not access my subdomains that are pointed at my IP from within my internal LAN.

I have the port forwarding enabled as well as a reverse proxy (Nginx Proxy Manager) running on my LAN. I can access the subdomains without issues while using cellular data.

I do not want to buy a new modem just for this feature and I don't want to have to use my DNS Server to trick my LAN clients into using Local DNS records..

Thanks

BriannaJoyy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus has that disabled for all residential connections regardless of modem used. I've asked about it before when I was testing a server and was told it's a feature they don't have plans to enable. The only way to currently test any subdomain pointing at your IP, or even your IP, is through a VPN or a separate connection than your home one, like cellular as you've already found out.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus has that disabled for all residential connections regardless of modem used. I've asked about it before when I was testing a server and was told it's a feature they don't have plans to enable. The only way to currently test any subdomain pointing at your IP, or even your IP, is through a VPN or a separate connection than your home one, like cellular as you've already found out.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

Using an internal DNS server is normal behaviour for accessing resources that are internal.  It isn't a "trick".  It is called split DNS.