cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home Assistant

CaptainKenny
Friendly Neighbour

Hello all,

I have a weird problem, I have a google nest at home that worked perfectly, now that Telus have upgraded me to fiber and swapped out all equipment, router and WIFI points, It takes Google three to four times to connect and get me answers to my questions.

Pre Upgrade;

"Ok Google, XXXX" ask the question and it responds immediately.

Post Upgrade

OK Google -- response -- There was a glitch

OK Google -- response -- Something went wrong, try again

OK Google -- response -- There was a glitch

On the four time, it works, and responds to my questions or commands to turn some lights on or off.

I beleive there is someting with the new equipment preventing Google from getting a connection but not sure what.

Tech support has been no help, they came out yeseterday and removed one of my two WIFI hubs stating with the new units, two is overkill and causes congestion. Has not responded.  Can I some advice? Will a static IP help?

10 REPLIES 10

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you tried factory resetting your google device and then tried?

Thank you for your response. Yet I have performed a full factory reset on it, rebooted my entire router and access point. Set up the google assistant device as a new device and confirmed its been updated to latest firmware.

xray
Hero

Do you have any connection issues with your other devices? You mention turning on/off lights. Are there issues using the smart light's native app to control them?

CaptainKenny
Friendly Neighbour

Hi there, no issue with the native app turning the lights on or off.  I have also noticed my iPad has been dropping connection since the switch over as well. I will go to use it and it states no internet connection.  

xray
Hero

It sounds like an issue with smart steering. Devices are flip-flopping between the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi and sometimes can't decide which one to use. I'm not sure if you can disable smart steering on that router or not. I turned it off on my T3200M.

CaptainKenny
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks Xray, I will look at the router admin site and if not, will reach out to Telus tonight. I asked earlier if they can just enable a dedicated 2.4 GHz bank that I can attach to.

CaptainKenny
Friendly Neighbour

Update, finally talked to TELUS and it turns out the new router they installed does not have Smart steering option to disable, firmware update is sometime in the future, to resolve this issue, they are going to remove all the new hardware and replace with the T3200 router.  Will this router still support my GIG internet?

xray
Hero

Yes, I believe it does support Gigabit WAN connection
https://www.actiontec.com/t3200m/

CaptainKenny
Friendly Neighbour

UPDATE -- Finally working. The tech came to my condo yesterday and mentioned he researched the problem. Hi reset the router, disable IPv6, enabled IPv4. I reattached the google home to the WIFI and has been working perfectly ever since. My iPad and Macbook also have more stable connections and don't report no internet connection either.

xray
Hero

Thanks for the update @CaptainKenny , I'm sure others with the same issue will benefit from your information.