cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber using Coax cable

Blackburn
Just Moved In
So last week I got internet 150/150. The tech did not want to run a fiber line inside because he said it too much work like wtf. Soooo anyways he’s like I can use coax cable to use from the OMT to the Modem. So I said to him, isn’t getting fiber into my house the whole reason why to get rid of the coax because of the Limitations of that old technology. Like don’t get me wrong it’s still good stuff but, in my old house I had cat 6 from the OMT to the modem and now with the coax it’s really flaky and sluggish but the speeds are up there but all over the place. What you guys think just curious if I have a point or if I’m crazy 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually ‘Fibre to the House’ only means it extends to a point near the old point of demarcation, where the old phone lines were gathered, or in newer builds to the telecommunications panel. From there, as you indicated, it is usually Cat 6 cable UNLESS the house is sufficiently finished that running Ethernet is too time consuming, or damaging, and there is another option, such as coax. If there is no alternative, they MAY move the ONT to your main point of consumption, by running the Fibre outside the house to that point, and putting all the equipment there (not pretty). All runs from there are yours to address.

To get the installation I wanted, I ran and dead ended Cat 6 to the locations where I wanted drops. The tech was more than happy to correctly terminate them, even though they were to excess. My opinion is that if you want Cat 6 Ethernet installed in other than through an unfinished basement or crawl space, you need to complete that task.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually ‘Fibre to the House’ only means it extends to a point near the old point of demarcation, where the old phone lines were gathered, or in newer builds to the telecommunications panel. From there, as you indicated, it is usually Cat 6 cable UNLESS the house is sufficiently finished that running Ethernet is too time consuming, or damaging, and there is another option, such as coax. If there is no alternative, they MAY move the ONT to your main point of consumption, by running the Fibre outside the house to that point, and putting all the equipment there (not pretty). All runs from there are yours to address.

To get the installation I wanted, I ran and dead ended Cat 6 to the locations where I wanted drops. The tech was more than happy to correctly terminate them, even though they were to excess. My opinion is that if you want Cat 6 Ethernet installed in other than through an unfinished basement or crawl space, you need to complete that task.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Ok then looking like I’ll be doing some work haha