cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet ports

JujhaarSekhon
Advocate
So recently I found out my Ethernet port in the wall doesn’t work so I went i my closet were the modem is and opened some metal box and someone had cut the wires and it was a Telus employee because they used to work but since one of the Telus employees came to do something they had cut the wire that connects from the modem to the Ethernet ports in the wall. So please I need someone to fix it
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

@JujhaarSekhon 

Yikes! Sometimes these panels contain cut wires, and its totally fine. I have cut wires in mine, and everything is working perfectly. Its not done to sabotage or damage your network configuration in any way. I cant speak for the previous technician that was there, and or their actions, nor can I confirm what wires are cut but I can do my best to help direct you to the correct department who can request a technician. 

The department you would need to speak to is our TELUS Home Service Technical Support. You can speak with them via live chat Click Here and click the purple chat icon on the bottom right corner. Or speak to an agent over the phone *611.

I hope they are able to resolve this issue for you in a timely manner.

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square:If you found this helpful, let others know by clicking the ❤️ Like button.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

JujhaarSekhon
Advocate
@BrandonT please help

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

@JujhaarSekhon 

Yikes! Sometimes these panels contain cut wires, and its totally fine. I have cut wires in mine, and everything is working perfectly. Its not done to sabotage or damage your network configuration in any way. I cant speak for the previous technician that was there, and or their actions, nor can I confirm what wires are cut but I can do my best to help direct you to the correct department who can request a technician. 

The department you would need to speak to is our TELUS Home Service Technical Support. You can speak with them via live chat Click Here and click the purple chat icon on the bottom right corner. Or speak to an agent over the phone *611.

I hope they are able to resolve this issue for you in a timely manner.

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square:If you found this helpful, let others know by clicking the ❤️ Like button.

The wires that are cut are blue wires

Thanks for providing details as to the colors of the cut wired, but unfortunately the color of Ethernet cables rarely mean anything. There is no accurate way to determine what the cut wires even do, or where they lead to without using a tool called a Continuity Tester which a network technician will have in their toolbox. For this type of issue, its nearly impossible to solve it virtually, otherwise I would have provided some step work for you. Unfortunately this one is out of my control. I do hope you are able to get in touch with TELUS Tech Support so they can assist.

@BrandonT I have called Telus and they said the can’t investigate because of covid-19. Do you know any Technician in surrey, bc that can help?

@JujhaarSekhon Awe darn, sorry to hear TELUS is unable to investigate during COVID-19. 

Although frustrating, I would suggest waiting until TELUS is available to send out a technician, since they are the ones who installed in, and most likely know how to fix it. Some 3rd party technicians refuse to touch TELUS property.

If you do not want to wait, I cant officially recommend nor endorse a 3rd party technician, but I can make it easier to search for a 3rd party technician by Clicking Here to view a Google Map of possible technicians in your area. 

Perhaps another customer on this forum could request a 3rd party technician they have used in the past. 

xray
Hero

I suspect the cut wires you see are not related to your problem. It's common to have unattached wires at the panel. There is no reason to cut the wire in order to disconnect from the modem because the modem has jacks you can simply unplug.

Do you see any loose ethernet cables with RJ45 connectors in the panel? Do not unplug or plug in anything while you are checking.

Can you post a picture of the panel? Not sure if you are able to post a picture here as some users don't seem to have that permission.

I will post a picture. I opened up one Ethernet port in the wall and it had a blue wire attached and I opened up the panel and all the blue wires were cut in half

@xray I can’t post picture

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

This sounds like a task for your choice of electrician. As @xray states, It is not uncommon for Ethernet cables to be left unterminated in the distribution panel.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Leaving wires unterminated is common but cutting existing terminations is not normal practice. @JujhaarSekhon was the wall jack for Ethernet working previously?

Yes it was working before