cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I really need to have 3 pieces of equipment to have a WiFi?

Artur
Just Moved In

Hi! Just yesterday got WiFi installed in my space. And since then wondering, do I really need to have 3 pieces of equipment for my WiFi to work properly. 

Here is how it looks like for now:
IMG_3129.jpg
Feels kinda weird. Taking into consideration our space is around 350 ft.

Will appreciate any help with suggestions. 

3 REPLIES 3

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Artur Wrote: Do I really need to have 3 pieces of equipment for my WiFi to work properly. 

Ok, there may be a number of explanations here...

Do you have TELUS as your phone provider? More particularly do you have multiple phone lines with TELUS?

Alarm services as well?

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

rc
Rockstar

You only require one device if your service is provided by copper (ADSL) service.

Would help if you provided some information on the model names of the items shown in the picture, I cannot recognise any of them.

@rc @Artur Wrote: Would help if you provided some information on the model names of the items shown in the picture, I cannot recognize any of them.

No, the connection is Fibre. The Black device is a Nokia XS-250X-A Basically a glorified Media converter using fibre. You can see the green SC fibre connection closest to the front on the device. No routing, or firewall functions.  Generally used if you have TELUS phone services with 2 phone lines.

The trashcan looking device is TELUS Wi-Fi booster. The white box is either a Technicolor FXA500 or a Arcadyan NH20A, near impossible to tell the difference from the outside of the devices. This is what would be used in this case for routing and firewalling...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.