cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCHP allocation of IP addresses limitation?

supergorf1
Neighbour

I have added a 14 ports Thunderbolt dock to my new Macbook Air running MacOS Monterey.

The Internet is connected to that dock and then to the Macbook via a T3 connection.

The network IPv4 address is via DHCP, but the IPv4 address that I get starts with 169.254xxxxx  and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 which are both wrong. my router address should start with 192. 

I have tried the renew DHCP but it assigns the same 169 address.

When I use a direct connect from the internet with a RJ to T3 connector it works fine.

I had the dock checked by the manufacturer (One world computing) and there is no issues with it.

I had once an IP conflict with my previous router and wonder if this is the case here. My questions:

1 - Is there a limit to IP addresses allocated either restricted by the router or the server?

2 - Can I renew the DHCP lease with the DHCP Client ID to get the proper address and if so what is the DHCP Client ID for my network?

3 - if there is a limit can I be upgraded?

Thanks

Supergorf1

6 REPLIES 6

DrPacman
Rockstar

@supergorf1 Wrote: The network IPv4 address is via DHCP, but the IPv4 address that I get starts with 169.254xxxxx. 

The IP address range you have indicated above shows that you really don't have a legitimate connection.

Having a quick look at the manufacture support pages. https://www.owc.com/solutions/thunderbolt-3-dock-14-port

I see that there are links to various supported Mac devices. You may want to start there. As well I see that there are specific Mac drivers offered. https://eshop.macsales.com/software/dock-ejector That I would guess would be the place to start troubleshooting the problems... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's not clear how you are connecting this box to your network. Assuming it has an ethernet port you should be connecting that to your Telus router and that would result in proper IP address assignment.

If you are seeing addresses in the 169.254.x.x range that means it's not seeing a DHCP server to get an address.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

@FuzzyLogic @supergorf1 Wrote: It's not clear how you are connecting this box to your network. 

I believe that this box is connected to his  Macbook Air via a Thunderbolt port connection. It provideds multiple additional port and interfaces to that Mac device. Given the fact that he is receiving a 169.254.xxxx IP address indicates to me that it really isn't working at all currently. Doing a little snooping I found specific Mac drivers that should enable him to have the device configure properly.

If I'm off base I will gladly stand corrected here... Cheers...

If you find this post useful, please give the author a "Solution", or mark as "Kudo", if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

The internet cable from the router is connected to the Internet port on the box. A t3 cable bringing the power brings also the internet connection.

The network configuration in system preference shows that the box is connected to the internet.

Two points to know before I got this problem:

1 - I upgraded my OS

2 - I installed another OWC dock on another computer,

This dock was working before and I had the dock checked by OWC. The Dynamic allocation is not working and I suspect a router issue.

If you found specific Mac drivers I would be interested in trying them

Thanks

@supergorf1 Wrote: If you found specific Mac drivers I would be interested in trying them.

The specific link to the Mac drivers is lined in my first message above. Hope that helps you out. Cheers...

BTW. I have loaded the Dock Ejector and no difference.

I have also tried to have the IP set up manually instead of Dynamically. It works for a little time but got reset somehow.

I will get to the bottom of it as I still suspect a router / server issue. Thanks for your help.