cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my own router - which unit do I connect to?

Glenstr
Neighbour

When my purefibre was installed a few days ago I asked the installation tech which unit should connect to if I decide to use my own router, which I have decided to do so I can create my VLANS ect for new IoT connected devices, keep using my existing customizations in my dd-wrt router etc.  

He said to connect it to my NH20A unit and not the Nokia unit the fibre is plugged into, but I am not sure if he understood my intent clearly. Right now I have the Cisco (linksys) just operating as a switch and ethernet goes from the NH20 to my nearest switch, but I'd like to swap that switch with my router and have the router first in line. 

Can I run ethernet from the Nokia unit direct to my router & bypass the NH20A unit?  

Or if I keep it connected, would this be just like using two routers on my home LAN, which would give me the ability to have two physically different LANS?

Thanks in advance

fibre.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Glenstr  wrote: When my purefibre was installed a few days ago I asked the installation tech which unit should connect to if I decide to use my own router.

=========================================

The Telus tech was indeed correct in his advice. you'll need to connect your supplemental router to the NH20A. In addition you'll have to place the NH20A in "Bridge Mode" for this configuration to work.  However, and currently this is a big however. The NH20A has configuration problems that seem to prevent the NH20A from working correctly. This anomaly has been discussed at length in other forums, and everyone is currently waiting a resolution.

Off the top of my head, and unfortunately I can't recall if the Telus GPon module is removable from the Nokia ONT or not. If it is, you have the ability to plug that directly into a router device that supports a incoming SFP fiber WAN connection such as a pfSence or Ubiquiti router for example. I know that the Telus T3200M device allowed for the removal of the GPon module and that currently is how I'm connected to Telus.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DrPacman
Rockstar

@Glenstr  wrote: When my purefibre was installed a few days ago I asked the installation tech which unit should connect to if I decide to use my own router.

=========================================

The Telus tech was indeed correct in his advice. you'll need to connect your supplemental router to the NH20A. In addition you'll have to place the NH20A in "Bridge Mode" for this configuration to work.  However, and currently this is a big however. The NH20A has configuration problems that seem to prevent the NH20A from working correctly. This anomaly has been discussed at length in other forums, and everyone is currently waiting a resolution.

Off the top of my head, and unfortunately I can't recall if the Telus GPon module is removable from the Nokia ONT or not. If it is, you have the ability to plug that directly into a router device that supports a incoming SFP fiber WAN connection such as a pfSence or Ubiquiti router for example. I know that the Telus T3200M device allowed for the removal of the GPon module and that currently is how I'm connected to Telus.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo", or mark as solution if it solves your problem, thank you very much.

Thanks for the reply

Since the OP I did some more research and I did see mention of putting a switch between the ONT and modem/router & running 2 networks with 2 different public IP's, but it didn't mention if that was a Nokia unit or not. 

If my router won't work properly inline with the NH20A then I will look at getting an pfSense appliance to use instead, assuming it will work with the Nokia unit. If not then I guess my only option would be to ask for different hardware from Telus. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If having two separate networks works for you, I suggest a switch between the Nokia, and your two routers.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"