cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to fibre.. not that impressed

62063e
Organizer

So all spring Telus has been digging up the neighbourhood laying pipe for the “fibre”, and I have been eager to try it.  So, last week out of the blue we get an email informing us a technician will arrive between 9 and 11 Sept 22. Great, I never officially applied, but OK, I am ready. Then an email outlying COVID-19 protocols.. then the evening of the 21st an automated telephone call informing us that it will be a virtual insulation.. push one to accept. Not that happy with the idea of doing it virtual.. but hey, still eager.

So, the technician shows up ~9:10, makes some inquiries about my health and proceeds with the installation.. Seems he did not get the virtual memo.. which was a good thing as there is no way this installation can be done “virtually”. 2 hours later I am on fibre.. woo-how.

Checking my speed.. depends on which “checker” you use.. Google Speed test gives me half of what I had (75MBS) download but a full ~80-90 upload. Telus speed test gives me~80-90 on both up and down. Not sure who to believe... but there “seems” little difference in browsing or watching videos.. before or after. I think my TV picture is clearer (OPIK TV) but am now blessed with a Home Screen that gives me a whole pile of channel selections I DON’T want.. And, to boot, my phone will no longer work if there is a power failure..

Impressed with fibre.. NOT. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jackrabbit000
Ambassador
I moved to Telus Fibre this spring. Internet via ethenet cat5e gives me more than the 150 I’m paying for. Wi-Fi seems to be around 1/2 of what I’m supposed to get. But other than that no problems.

To get rid of the Home Screen:
1. TV on any channel
2. Press left arrow key (on the silver center circle) to bring up Home Screen
3. Press Options button
4. Press OFF under Home Screen Options.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

jackrabbit000
Ambassador
I moved to Telus Fibre this spring. Internet via ethenet cat5e gives me more than the 150 I’m paying for. Wi-Fi seems to be around 1/2 of what I’m supposed to get. But other than that no problems.

To get rid of the Home Screen:
1. TV on any channel
2. Press left arrow key (on the silver center circle) to bring up Home Screen
3. Press Options button
4. Press OFF under Home Screen Options.