02-20-2021 12:15 PM
02-21-2021 01:13 PM
When I setup Outlook (IMAP) for GMail I found that when configuring the advanced settings if I selected SSL after setting the Port number the port number would change to the default. This caused the setup to not work. I would check those settings to see if the port numbers are correct:
Ensure the following Server Port Numbers are entered:
02-22-2021 02:48 PM
02-23-2021 11:20 AM
I had a similar issue setting up one of my Telus accounts. In the end I just deleted the account from Outlook and recreated it (ensuring the ports were correct) and that worked.
02-23-2021 08:38 PM