cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Change the Fiber Optic Cable ?

Brando
Neighbour

Hi,  I've got a detached garage with a conduit to the house.  When I had my ONT installed, it was put in the garage although I had said I wanted it inside the house due to possible damage and moisture in the garage.   If I were to buy a 10' fiber optic cable, can I move the ONT myself and is it as simple as coupling the feed to the patch cable and then plugging it into the ONT with a CAT 5e out?  

Also, I had wanted the battery backup for my landline but I was persuaded not to by the installer.  Is it too late to ask for one now?   

Finally, would I be charged if I called and asked for an installer to do this for me (I can run the cable myself so the installer would just have to plug in the ends of the patch cable).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Brando @Kronos  Someone on here said adding fibre requires it to be tested to make shure it works . Moving the ont will require that the copper house wires will have to be connected inside house i you want fiber phone line There is no charge for the power pack. You need a telus installer sooner than later. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

polecat
All-Star

@Brando  I would get telus to do it and pay if you have to. I  had  (made) them put in battery back up we are old and at the time had no cell phone. If you know the type of fiber and the proper ends it might work for you. You will need two power plug ins. Some one on here commented that the fiber cable has to be matched to their terminals way down the line somewhere. The proper frequency and  channels type thing. Polecat

Kronos
Organizer
The ONT will be fine in the garage as long as it's not exposed to the elements. I didn't understand your plan about the 10 feet of fiber, but it will only work if you run fiber optic through the conduit. I'm guessing your conduit is longer than 10 feet... You can't splice glass with copper that's the job of the transceiver (ONT). Also, I suggest you give Telus a call about the battery backup. The technician should have installed it if you asked, since you won't have landline during an outage. I'm not sure if Telus bills for the battery backup, but it's better than no landline when the power goes out.

Sorry, I meant 150'...   There was moisture forming on the ONT so I was concerned.  Also, I figured it was safer in my crawlspace where I have accesss to my CAT 5e's that are run through the house.

Oh, and I was going to have a patch cable that had the SC connectors already attached so no need to splice.  The fiber optic cable coming into the garage already had a SC connector and coupler so I thought it'd be as easy as disconnecting the current one,  attaching it to the 150' patch cable and then connecting it to the ONT inside the house.

@Brando @Kronos  Someone on here said adding fibre requires it to be tested to make shure it works . Moving the ont will require that the copper house wires will have to be connected inside house i you want fiber phone line There is no charge for the power pack. You need a telus installer sooner than later. 

You can get a $30 optical power meter from Amazon, otherwise I suggest before running your pre-terminated 150 feet of fiber just connect one end of it to the coupler and the other to the ONT in the garage and see if you get a Fail red light or everything goes green after a few minutes.

If you don't get a Fail light then carefully (remember it's glass) run the fiber to your crawlspace, connect your ONT there, and check for Fail light again. Then you need to either move the modem to the crawlspace or intercept the Cat5 home run going to your modem from the garage and plug it in to the ONT.

Consider everything currently connected to the modem (wired and wireless) before moving the modem, and make a plan to restore all connections and wifi coverage if you do move it.

Also, I hope your crawlspace is at least 4 feet high and clean. Otherwise technicians will refuse to go in there for any troubleshooting especially since it's against their rules like mentioned by polecat.

polecat
All-Star

@Brando  Telus installers will not work in attics crawlspaces i had to install a conduit to get the ont to my desired location where power and the cate cables are that were hooked to the copper modem router. I had to cut the rock and patch it back in and paint. All this to avoid having a fiber cable stapled to outside wall of house. My choice.