cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridging a T3200M and using it as a MoCa Adapter

ghornisbroken
Neighbour

Hi Y'all, I'm wondering what I'm doing and wrong and if what I'm doing is possible.

Context

I bought a new router, a TP Link AX3000. I want this router to broadcast the WiFi signal and for all devices to be connected to this device. However, a coaxial cable runs from my MoCa adapter (upstairs) into the basement where my router is. This is where the T3200M comes as I'm able to use the output coaxial cable port to connect to the coaxial cable. This way, I don't have to buy a MocA adapter as it converts the incoming ethernet signal into an output coaxial signal. 

Problem

I've currently configured the TELUS 3200M in bridge mode but I don't receive an ethernet signal from my ethernet splitter that is connected to a MoCa adapter that is connected to the coaxial output of the TELUS 3200M. 

Configuration

ghornisbroken_0-1728875263034.png

(Additionally, go to the admin portal of the telus t3200m network and enable port bridging.)

When I configured it as so, it said "Internet Service Provider": "Disconnected" and "Wireless": "Enabled". I was expecting for the wireless network to go away and for the internet service to be enabled so that my ethernet connection would work. 

Goals

1. The Telus T3200M Wifi signal is disabled and cannot be re-enabled

2. I should be able to control the entire network from the TP Link Admin Portal and I should be able to see all devices (wired and wireless) connected. 

So, is the configuration in the image correct? How can I resolve the issue so that I can receive an ethernet signal from the splitter and so that goals #1 & #2 are achieved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For anyone else who comes across the same problem -- I ended up going with the configuration in the above image except I took out the T3200M. Bridging mode would be necessary for me if I didn't have an ONT that supplied me ethernet but since it does -- I can just connect that to the WAN port of my new router. Unfortunately, this meant that I ended up having to buy another MoCA adapter ($50 secondhand, not that bad) and now it's just a simple router & MoCA adapter configuration which wasn't too hard to setup.

I have everything working how I expected and I'll probably return the T3200M modem to reduce my monthly bill by $5. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ghornisbroken
Neighbour

Ok I think I misunderstood how bridging work. This is how the new configuration would look like, correct? 

ghornisbroken_0-1728877844137.png

In that case -- what is the point of bridging the T3200M? I should just be able to connect directly from my new router to the ONT, no? Additionally, I would not be able to make use of the coaxial output port of the T3200M because the bridging port is only on LAN Port 1. So do I really have no choice but to buy a MoCA adapter? It's literally more than the cost of my new router. 

Hey @Nighthawk is this something you'd have any insight into?

Need to private message us but don't know how? Check out this step-by-step guide.

For anyone else who comes across the same problem -- I ended up going with the configuration in the above image except I took out the T3200M. Bridging mode would be necessary for me if I didn't have an ONT that supplied me ethernet but since it does -- I can just connect that to the WAN port of my new router. Unfortunately, this meant that I ended up having to buy another MoCA adapter ($50 secondhand, not that bad) and now it's just a simple router & MoCA adapter configuration which wasn't too hard to setup.

I have everything working how I expected and I'll probably return the T3200M modem to reduce my monthly bill by $5.