cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability of service in my area (v9j1r1)

ShaneE
Just Moved In
I would like to know how I would contact someone in the planning department at Telus that could give me an honest answer as to when I could expect ANY form of service in my area. We have been told sporadically for years that 'it's coming' but has never happened. We have a very long, well populated road that begins right at a possible connection point to fiber. Many people in the area have pursued the issue of getting internet sent down or road but nothing has been done. If anyone has a direct contact for anyone on the telus planning department, that would be great! Thanks everyone!
3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unfortunately there won't be anyone that will be able to give you an exact time for when fibre will be installed. Looking at the map, that postal code is for a rural area outside Courtenay that doesnt appear to be heavily populated according to google maps. The only service Telus offers in the area for internet is through a Smart Hub (cellular).

I would be to get as many people as possible in the area to request fibre at https://fibre.telus.com/iwantfibre/#overbuild_form . The more requests from an area, the better the chance for fibre sooner.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Strange, my previous neighbor here had been in contact with the planning department on numerous occasions but he has since moved on and I am not able to acquire that contact information from him.

The last time we spoke about it though, he was assured that it was to begin implementation by now in our area. I would simply like to follow up on these claims with that department.

I do not expect fiber down this road but ADSL at the very least since it has been available at the beginning of our road for many years with a switch less than 2 kms from my doorstep.

Smart Hub also claims to be unavailable for my address which is again, very frustrating.

I know the postal code shows a very rural area but there are more than enough people in this area to justify expansion. My previous address had under 50 people on the line and the expansion for that area still occurred. 

The situation here is puzzling at the very least. I am just hoping for some proper clarification on the local status of expansion.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Last I heard, Telus isn't putting out any new copper infrastructure. It's extremely unlikely that new or additional VDSL hardware will be installed in that area.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂