cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arcadyan not as good as T3200M

Norm3
Friendly Neighbour

I just signed up for 2 more years of Loyalty discounts and the Telus rep said she was sending me a new WiFi 6 modem and new PVR for my family room and secondary box for my bedroom.  What I received is the Arcadyan modem, which after much trial and error, I found out is NOT a WiFi 6 modem and is in fact the same WiFi 5 802.11ac as the T3200.

After installing the Arcadyan (before I found out it is not WiFi 6) the internet dropped twice in one day and required power cycles both times.  My wife is a software engineer who works from home and she was not impressed.  The next day there were some devices that had no problems with wireless internet access, but others who were connected but had no internet access.  I also noticed that my PVR was acting sluggish and some channels were not available.  I never had a single problem with the T3200 in the 3.5 years since my fibre was hooked up.

I reinstalled the T3200 and everything is stable as it always has been.  The Arcadyan also has one less ethernet port than the T3200 forcing me to get a small switch so that I could connect all of my wired devices.

I'm disappointed I didn't get a WiFi 6 modem as promised, but I've read posts on this forum that it's not reliable either, and it only has 2 ethernet ports.  Does anyone know if one of those two ports can bridged?

The PVR and secondary box I received are the exact same models I already have so I guess I now have a spare of each.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They sent you the wrong device. The Wifi 6 device is not a modem. It's a wireless access point. That's why it only has two ports on it. I have one connected to my T3200M and have had no issues.

If you have an ONT (fibre terminal) connected by ethernet to your T3200M, that would be where the issue with the Arcadyan Wifi Hub came in. It could also help explain the issues with the TV. The Arcadyan Wifi Hub has the same number of LAN ports as the T3200M but what it's missing is a WAN/Internet port. If you have an ONT connected to one of the LAN ports on the Arcadyan hub, it's going to have issues. The wifi hub is designed to have the fibre connected directly to it instead.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They sent you the wrong device. The Wifi 6 device is not a modem. It's a wireless access point. That's why it only has two ports on it. I have one connected to my T3200M and have had no issues.

If you have an ONT (fibre terminal) connected by ethernet to your T3200M, that would be where the issue with the Arcadyan Wifi Hub came in. It could also help explain the issues with the TV. The Arcadyan Wifi Hub has the same number of LAN ports as the T3200M but what it's missing is a WAN/Internet port. If you have an ONT connected to one of the LAN ports on the Arcadyan hub, it's going to have issues. The wifi hub is designed to have the fibre connected directly to it instead.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Norm3
Friendly Neighbour

I had the ONT connected to the LAN/WAN Port 4 of the Arcadyan because Telus didn't supply a fibre transceiver for it.