cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a wired connection to the basment.

Beesherz
Just Moved In
My landlords have telus, I like the internet but for some reason the wifi keeps dropping when I use it for my ps4. I understand theres boosters that can be bought but I'd rather have a wired connection.
If the landlord agrees and what not, is it possible to add an ethernet port in my basment and what would it cost?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've had good results with Powerline adapters. Something like this would likely do the job:

TP-Link AV600 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 600Mbps (TL-PA4010 KIT): Amazon.ca: Computer...

If you want a Wi-Fi extender as well:

TP-Link AV600 Powerline WiFi Extender, ADVANCED 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, Wi...

You would need to work with your landlord to set this up but it's pretty trivial.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Any of a number of electricians or other suppliers could do it relatively inexpensively. I believe Telus would charge $75 per hour, and may not be prepared to install from one domicile to another.

It is also a task you might do yourself, with a bit of internet research. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've had good results with Powerline adapters. Something like this would likely do the job:

TP-Link AV600 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 600Mbps (TL-PA4010 KIT): Amazon.ca: Computer...

If you want a Wi-Fi extender as well:

TP-Link AV600 Powerline WiFi Extender, ADVANCED 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, Wi...

You would need to work with your landlord to set this up but it's pretty trivial.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

polecat
All-Star

@Beesherz   You need to check the wifi signal strength I use  ( matthafner.com ) you will see all close wifi S  both 2.5 nd 5 ghz  A db strength under 50 is really good  at  62-64 still works at 70 weak. You can find the strong and weak areas. Your internet package may limit your play station. On copper or fiber? 2.5 signal carries the furthest.