cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a second router to fiber home network

jhawkings
Neighbour

I want to add a second modem/router on my existing home network to get wifi and a wired TV connection to a detached building.  I have buried conduit and can run Cat6/Coaxial from the detached building to the house to terminate at the  ONT (Alcatel-Lucent) or the existing router location.  It will be much easier to run cable to the ONT rather than the existing router (would need to add a wall plate and extra visible wiring).   It appears the ONT can only directly supply to one router but can I add a switch right after the ONT and run one port to the existing wall plate the router connects to and a second directly to the detached building (about 100' of cable). 

Also is there any reason to run both Cat6 and Coaxial or should i just run the ethernet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero
Bottom line is all Optik boxes need to be on the Telus router, either directly or through a switch or access point (router in AP mode). It doesn't matter which Optik box is where.

Depending on how long the conduit run is it shouldn't cost much more to run 2 Ethernet lines instead of just 1. It will save you the hassle of doing it later and will give you some flexibility in the future.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

xray
Hero

If you need Optik TV service at the other location then it needs to be on the same network (router) as the PVR (assuming you have a PVR). Do you need access to other network devices like a network printer or a NAS from the remote building? If so then that's another reason to be on the same network.

Yes, I will need Optik TV in the detached building so I will need to be on the same network.  I was under the impression I can use a second router to function as an extender.  It sounds like you are suggesting it would have to be connected to the main router and not a switch.  Would the TV need to connect directly to the PVR? 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You may need the PVR connected to a TV for troubleshooting, but it could be set up without, using the other set top boxes at each TV.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero
Bottom line is all Optik boxes need to be on the Telus router, either directly or through a switch or access point (router in AP mode). It doesn't matter which Optik box is where.

Depending on how long the conduit run is it shouldn't cost much more to run 2 Ethernet lines instead of just 1. It will save you the hassle of doing it later and will give you some flexibility in the future.