cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10G Router, 10G NIC, Cat6A cable on 3X Purefibre plan only getting 1G

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour

I am pretty new telus subscriber, I was happy to hear they offered 3gig speed.

However I am pretty confident I am only getting 1GBE speed now.  How can I verify before contacting support?

According to ookla speedtest I am getting nearly symmetrical 1g up/down.

The equipment supplied by telus has a 10g LAN port which I am using to connect via CAT6A (over about 10meters) to an tplink er8411 router, into SPF+ 10G configured WAN port.

From there I have a system with 10GB NIC connected to another SPF+ 10G configured LAN port.  This link is via CAT6 (but the cable is less than 1 meter and so should be in spec to carry 10G)

My account shows 3X plan.  But I am getting the following results:

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from TELUS (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by BCNET (Vancouver, BC) [263.44 km]: 3.577 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 1035.80 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 950.30 Mbit/s

4 REPLIES 4

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour

I checked the SPF module in the modem and it is XGSPON, and should be capable for 10G speeds as well.

Nokia 3FE46901AA Compatible TAA 10GBs XGS-PON ONU Transceiver.

I upgraded all cabling now to CAT 6A

Speed is faster but still not 3000mbps advertised.

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from TELUS (66.183.208.46)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by TELUS (Vancouver, BC) [263.44 km]: 2.676 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 1572.48 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 1301.03 Mbit/s

I am not able to get a hold of someone in support to verify that my neighbourhood has 3X service enabled.  The virtual assistant doesn't seem to understand what I am trying to do.  I will say, my previous provider had much better support than what I have received with telus so far.

Does anyone here know if there is a number/email that will reach someone that can confirm that it is even possible for me to be getting the 3X speeds?

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've sent you a private message to see if I can get you some support 🙂

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour

Thank you!, eventually (after literally ignoring the chat bot on the phone) a real agent answered and I was able to get it escalated to the backoffice (after 40m).

Now I am expecting a tech visit (and hopefully not 150$ bill).

Kyl
Helpful Neighbour

The tech did some tests and communicated with the back office, they determined that something is slowing things down.
The test was directly from the techs laptop to the (telus supplied modem/router) demarcating my network out of the test. They maxed out (while I was looking) at 1.8gbps with their own laptop, later test that I didn't see was at 2.2gbps.

They left saying that there must be some issue with the hardware they were using and or the modem or something external to my network.  They explained that the 3X service is not designed for single link speed at 3000mbps and instead multiple devices/clients.
It is a bit frustrating, im not exactly sure where to take my issue now.

If the tech cannot reach the advertised speed then why would they expect me to?  I am debating going back to 1gig service.