cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1.5Gb/s Internet offering...

DrPacman
Rockstar

Good day…

I see in my area Telus is starting to offer a 1.5Gb/s download service… Terrific news for us… My question pertains to what equipment we must now utilize to benefit from this additional speed…

First, and please correct my if my impression is not accurate… Will the ONT now contain a SFP+ connection supporting up to 10Gb/s, as this is a faster speed then the currently supplied SFP connection, and more that 1Gb/s as indicated.

And will we have to upgrade our internal systems to a 10Gbs network to take full benefit of this increased speed?

My regards...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-bundles/1.5-gigabit-internet

Since I know a lot of people never read it, the fine print: Maximum aggregate download speed is 1,500 Mbps. Maximum speeds are not achievable using a single device. Concurrent data streams may be required to access maximum speeds (i.e. 3 or more devices running at 500 Mbps each at the same time).

Now if you had a 10gbps router in your home, Cat7 ethernet, and 10gbps NICs in your PCs, maybe but there is no guarantee. Telus' routers I believe only have gigabit LAN ports.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-bundles/1.5-gigabit-internet

Since I know a lot of people never read it, the fine print: Maximum aggregate download speed is 1,500 Mbps. Maximum speeds are not achievable using a single device. Concurrent data streams may be required to access maximum speeds (i.e. 3 or more devices running at 500 Mbps each at the same time).

Now if you had a 10gbps router in your home, Cat7 ethernet, and 10gbps NICs in your PCs, maybe but there is no guarantee. Telus' routers I believe only have gigabit LAN ports.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

pretzel06
Just Moved In

I believe telus router can receive a full 1.5Gbps, though the rj-45 ports are limited to 1Gbps. Concurrent streams is the only way to achieve this.

Can you elaborate on your setup.. modem model and PC Nic used to get full speeds. Thanks! 

How are u getting this speed? Is ur fiber connect directly to modem through sfp adapter?

Gryffin
Friendly Neighbour

I am in the process of upgrading to 1.5 and they told me all their equipment will run it.  I have the T3200M.  My issue is just getting them to upgrade me to the 1.5.  Telus has just upgraded me to 1.0 and they are having issues on their end getting me to 1.5.  I don't know what the problem is but it is so far taken 3 days and I am still at 1.0.

You do understand you will only get max 1.0  to one device.  Then the other .5 will be allocated for other devices.  The equipment they provide can link at 2.5 Gbit but only has four 1 Gbit ports. 

Are they providing SFP+ adapters that are capable of up to 10G? I don't use Telus equipment and everything on my network is 10G. I'd love to upgrade to 1.5G but they don't explain how they provide it.

Gryffin
Friendly Neighbour

So Telus updated me, but I was still getting 1 gig, not 1.5.  So after having 2 telus reps tell me the equipment can handle it, I finally got one that said the T3200M cannot do faster than 1 gig.  So they are sending me the new router.   I had no idea upgrading would cost me talking to 4 Telus reps, and being on hold for a total of about 6 hours.  What a mess.