Home

Trusted answers and information and Home Services devices and solutions from Neighbourhood contributors and the TELUS team.

Bridge Mode - Using Your Own Router

Community Manager

What Is Bridge Mode?

When you sign up for TELUS internet you will receive a device called a gateway - a two-in-one modem & router combo. Bridge mode is a feature that allows a user to shut off the router side of the gateway (i.e. WiFi), and use a 3rd party router in its place.

TELUS currently only offers bridge mode on 3 gateway models - the T1200H,  T2200H and T3200M. The main difference between these two models is that the T1200H is a single line gateway while the T2200H is a copper bonded gateway, used for higher speed plans where two lines are required.

Setup

1. In the address bar of your browser type 'http://192.168.1.254'  and then press Enter
  2. The Gateway’s Home screen will appear. Enter your user name and password and then click the Wireless Setup icon located in the top row of icons (see below).

ET pic 1.png

1. Click on Advance Setup on the right side
  2. Click on Port Bridging
  3. The Port1 Bridge screen will appear (see below) - click Enable and then click Apply

ET pic 2.png
Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
jakehawkes42
Just Moved In
Not sure about “auto bridge mode” at all. Never heard that before.
The way I’ve always configured it was in the advanced setup area, under port bridging. My understanding is that this should survive a power cycle, so it is surprising to hear that didn’t work for you.
There doesn’t seem to be a way to disable the DHCP server either...

dfrerichs
Just Moved In

Can't log into it using that IP or the IP that it's programmed to. The manufacturers website says that the GUI can only be accessed by the ISP. The Telus tech on the phone after 45mins trying to see if DHCP could be shut off had to call somebody else that told him that this unit has auto sensing bridge mode. 

Camilla
Resident

I have pure fibre with telus and an 3300 modem/router - I have a qsee dvr/camera system that is connected to my telus router and I can see my cameras on my computer and phone when in my home but when I go outside my home network I cannot access my dvr because ports 85 and 37777 are not open and port forwarding is not possible on residential account - telus suggested adding an external router to run the dvr system but I am not sure how to do this - do I plug the new router into port 1 and do the bridging?

jakehawkes42
Just Moved In

Did someone from Telus actually tell you that port forwarding is not possible on a residential account? If so, they should make that more well known. I fought with them for weeks trying to get it working, including them attempting to get me to pay for Support+, who can only help you configure your gadgets, and not the actual router itself.

Whether it is officially supported or not, it wasn't anywhere near reliable for me, so I did the bridge mode solution in the end. 

So, you add an external router to your setup, and connect it to port 1 which you configure to be in bridge mode. Be aware though that this means you are on your own for the configuration of that new router, and your Telus device will turn into a glorified modem. This means your wifi will now need to be served by the 3rd party router too. This is better in my opinion, but you do need to be fairly technical to get it to all work nicely.

Tommytongue
Just Moved In

I have just bought a VPN. However I have been told that the t3200m does not support this......

Is anybody using a VPN with this gateway if so what is the setup????

If not if I enable bridging and use a second router in Lan 1 will the VPN wowrk though this 3rd party router. I only need to connect my ps and media box to this router via cat 5. Will it work?

Can I still use the 5g on the gateway if I do this?

iwongstein
Just Moved In

hi team, i have added a new wifi router, a NightHawk AC2300.... the WIFI is manages more devices than the Actiontec T3200M. I am running bridge mode and using port 1. I can't seem to get my NAS to work on the new router via hard wire. Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong? Everything else works fine from a hardwire from the Nighthawk AC2300 or the WIFI from the AC2300.

Best regards,

Glad

Community Power User
Community Power User

I take it the T3200M is what is in bridge mode and your personal router is connected to port 1 on the T3200M? From there it goes to the WAN port on the AC2300, and your NAS is connected to one of the 4 LAN ports on the AC2300? 

If you are having problems configuring the AC2300 you will need to go to: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx . You may also need to check on the configuration of your NAS as well.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Chriss1

What happens if you disable bridge mode?

Your 3rd party modem should see the internet bridged or unbridged.

Chriss1
Connector

@NFtoBC I turned bridge mode off and it had no effect. I'm still not able to communicate with my dlink router. 

I thought I had it working . I plugged from access point into dlink router and from there the telus box and had several other wifi devices successfully connected t it but when we went to access our streaming (amazon) it wouldn't work so I changed it back.

Originally I was trying to connect a canon pixma printer to the telus box. The printer connected to the box (and worked fine on my office router) but the install software wouldn't detect it on the telus box so I went and got a router figuring it would be a simple setup. Wouldnt work at all the first way (access point/telus/router) When I reversed the order access point/ dlink/telus the printer worked fine.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I’m not understanding where the access point suddenly came into things.

If you can’t get your network working with just the T1200H, then that’s where i’d be starting my troubleshooting.

Chriss1
Connector

@NFtoBC 

The telus gateway seems to be functioning as it should, it is the vdsl modem/router that although my printer finds it, the printer software does not find it from either of my 2 PC's. And when I connect a dlink router to port 1 (in bridged or unbridged mode) I cant find it when going to the router IP address.

I have previously configured an hp printer on the telus router so I'm not sure why something seems to be blocking both devices even though I can see them when I login into the telus router. I did reset the telus router just in case something was messed up in the config. When I contacted telus of course they said they didn't support this and couldn't help me but when I was using shaw none of this was ever an issue. 

Chriss1
Connector

@NFtoBC@Sorry I meant to say also that the telus router functions with everything else fine as it should and has been for 3 years I just wanted to add additional wifi. I figured I would swap around the telus and dlink connections to the gateway to make sure my dlink router was actually working as it should (troubleshooting 101) and it did 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Truly, the easiest way to add additional Wi-Fi is with the Telus Boost devices.

I take it by ‘gateway’ you mean the Fibre ONT.

I would not expect to see your secondary router through 192.168.1.254 when in Bridge mode. You should be able to see it through it’s own subnet IP address. Of course when not bridged, it should appear at the DHCP assigned IP address if the Actiontec.

Chriss1
Connector

@NFtoBC oh sorry I figured when I said I had a t1200h that it is NOT fiber so I don't have a telus boost.  Maybe I should just wait until we get fibre to try this because I've been messing with it for over a week.

It's not appearing like it should so I cant even configure it, it's a pita.

We are waiting on telus to get fibre 

Thanks

Community Power User
Community Power User

Boost doesn't need fibre to work. Telus Boost is a wireless extender which should make things work more cohesively. 

@Chriss1 I still can't get a clear picture of how you have your network set up. Maybe draw up a diagram? To respond to a few of your points: 

• If the T1200 is bridged you will NOT be able to access any router/device on port 1, ever, from any device on the T1200. Devices on the Dlink won't see the T1200 or any device connected to it either.
  • If bridged (or not) you will want to have all your devices on one router, Dlink in this case.
  • Any device on the T1200, even if it's not bridged, will NOT be able to communicate with any device on the Dlink network since they are two physically separate devices and networks. 

A lot of this is basic networking 101.

And some questions:

• Which port on the T1200 is your Dlink being plugged into? WAN? 1-4?
  • What IP range is your Dlink set to use? (192.168.?.?)
  • Are you trying to remotely access the settings on the Dlink, or a device connected to it, from something connected to the T1200?
  • Are you trying to access a device on the T1200 from something connected to the Dlink?

I never bridged my Telus gateway when using it with my Dlink router, and I didn't change any settings or disable wifi on the Telus modem. Just plugged my router straight into port 1 after changing the default IP range on the Dlink to something that would not conflict with the 192.168.1.x range the T1200 used. 

What many of us have done is use the Telus gateway only for Optik TV, and the third party router has everything else connected to it.

Chriss1
Connector
  • Which port on the T1200 is your Dlink being plugged into? WAN? 1-4? Port 1
  • What IP range is your Dlink set to use? (192.168.?.?) 192.168.1.100
  • Are you trying to remotely access the settings on the Dlink, or a device connected to it, from something connected to the T1200? I have accessed the Dlink both remotely and hard wired, it is not connecting the T1200, that's the part that doesn't seem to be working.
  • Are you trying to access a device on the T1200 from something connected to the Dlink? No

It may be "networking 101" but I have been networking since the 90's when we didn't have wifi and had to set our own protocols in Linux and windows. I apologize that perhaps  I'm making something simple overcomplicated? I got confused about port bridging because the D-link setup said to enable it on "router number 1" (I have now disabled it) and I couldn't seem to find of info on the Telus router. This is what I currently have setup and am able to access both routers but the D-Link will not connect to the internet. I can access it wirelessly and change settings.  (there are also other wireless devices I connected to the T1200H that I would like to switch to the D-Link as you mentioned that you had done) which is what my goal was in getting a seperate router.

network.jpg

Chriss1
Connector

@Nighthawk

• If the T1200 is bridged you will NOT be able to access any router/device on port 1, ever, from any device on the T1200. Devices on the Dlink won't see the T1200 or any device connected to it either.
  • If bridged (or not) you will want to have all your devices on one router, Dlink in this case.
  • Any device on the T1200, even if it's not bridged, will NOT be able to communicate with any device on the Dlink network since they are two physically separate devices and networks.

Yes this is common sense

Community Power User
Community Power User

The WAP may need to be on one of the numbered ports. If it's in WAN the T1200 may not like that. The WAN port on the T1200 is mainly used when the T1200 is to act as a router only. That is common in fibre installs.

After looking at your diagram, I would recommend taking the ethernet line from the T1200 port 1, and put it into WAN on the Dlink, not 1. If it's in port one on both you'll likely end up with a DHCP conflict. That may be exactly what's happening there unless you disabled DHCP on the Dlink and somehow configured it as a simple AP which usually isn't possible on most consumer models. (Not sure which model of Dlink you have.) Try that without either device being bridged as that was the physical configuration I was using.

Chriss1
Connector

@Nighthawk

Ok I will try that, I have disabled DHCP on the Dlink but it is a consumer model so perhaps that's another reason I'm having issues with it

Chriss1
Connector

@Nighthawk Ok the WAP definitely does not like being in a numbered port and the DLink router doesn't like the cable being in the WAN port. I had to switch them all back for me to be able to reconnect.  I have a 

Dlink DIR-822. Would you suggest that I need to get a higher rated consumer model or ? I am scratching my head.  As I said before I don't have a WiFi extender and am currently just waiting for telus to connect our fibre service into our suite. It is available other people in our building have it and my parents have it and I didn't have these issues. Maybe I should just wait?
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the Dlink won't work with the ethernet connection to it's WAN, which is how it's designed to work, there is a problem with the Dlink or its configuration. You may want to completely factory reset the Dlink and try again. Mine is a smaller, simpler, older model and I just connected it straight out of the box to my Telus gateway (Dlink WAN to Telus Port 1) The only change I did to my Dlink was change the IP range from 192.168.1.x, to 192.168.10.x, in order to avoid any IP conflicts and it's worked fine since. You'd need to hardwire to your Dlink and change settings in it specifically.

The WAP not working on another port besides WAN is also unusual as well. You don't have a WIFI extender? What's the WAP being used for then?

Getting fibre won't fix the configuration issues on the local equipment. The one difference is that the WAN port on the Telus gateway will be used by the fibre terminal so that WAP is going to have to move.

Chriss1
Connector

Haha, Interesting. Ok, I am not sure since this equipment is about 3 years old and I moved in with someone and that is how it is configured. The WAP(Cisco Ven 501)  which I guess is the T1200 H is connected to the Actiontech VDSL modem/router?  When I look at the datasheet this is what I see : http://www.actiontec.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/t1200h_datasheet.pdf?_ga=2.218311196.402198785.1...

As I understand it we are not even on copper. In my DLink manual it said not to hook an additional router to the WAN port but to hook it to one of the other ports. I have tried it anyways

From what I was told they will switch out all of our equipment but perhaps I should take this Dlink back because it's not functioning as it should. I'm starting to wonder because I've tried every configuration I can think of.

I have reset the DLink to factory multiple times but I will try again.

Thanks

Community Power User
Community Power User

On the Dlink docs where it says not to connect an additional router to the WAN port (which is correct), that would mainly be in the instance you add yet another router to the mix. The connections should always be a numbered port on the first device, connected to the WAN port of the next router. 

Example:

DlinkWAN.jpgIf you don't have fibre, you are most definitely on copper. There's no other way you'd get internet.

Odds are if you get fibre they'll swap out the T1200 for the T3200 and the VEN501 will go away since the T3200 has better wifi on board that replaces the VEN501.

Community Power User
Community Power User

The VEN501 was included with the T1200H to provide connectivity for the wireless TV boxes, as the T1200H did not have the necessary radios. It should be connected to a LAN port on the T1200H.

Im also wondering if the D-Link should have an IP address other than 192.168.1.xxx if it is to be a separate subnet.

Chriss1
Connector

@NFtoBC I have the Ven501 connected LAN port to LAN port on the T1200H. it was suggested I should have it connected to one of the numbered  ports which I did try but lost all network connectivity . The D-Link came factory as 192.168.0.1, I changed it to 192.168.0.2 as suggested by D-Link but couldn't see it until I changed it to a 192.168.1.x IP address. The way it is now it is partly connected and "works" to a point but is still not fully functional. I am thinking I will call my friend who is a network security analyst.

Community Power User
Community Power User

The reason you couldn't see the Dlink until you chose a conflicting IP address on it was because you had the ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN ports on the Dlink instead of the WAN port. Again, networking basics. Having the cable into the LAN port on the Dlink is causing a DHCP conflict. If the Dlink won't work with the ethernet cable in its WAN port, and factory resets don't help, that's not normal. You need to test with a different router.

victor_vvv
Just Moved In

Well, got Telus 150 with Optik TV yesterday. Trying to use my own Linksys router without T3200M, but couldn't get TV to work properly without cutouts even with multicasting filter turned on. Bridging didn't help because I still had to hook my main Optik TV line to T3200 (hardwired through condo over single Cat7). Most people are using this bridging setup to solve Optik TV problems, but my issue is that this one and only CAT7 line from the T3200 (storage room) to my living room TV is also being split through a switch in the living room to provide ethernet network access to TV, receiver, Chromecast, Roku, Google Home. So now my living room ends up being on a seperate network from my other rooms (computers, and wifi devices through Linksys router). This does not work so well if you need to use programs like PLEX to stream stuff from say computer in den to living room. Among other reasons why I may need to just have one network for whole home.

victor_vvv
Just Moved In

So after 6 hours of tinkering I found another solution albiet not perfect. Still running T3200 to living room on one CAT7 line which is then split using D-Link 5 port switch. All devices in living room is being partitioned/assigned DHCP address by T3200. Turned wifi on T3200 off. Turn bridging off.

New Option:

On second Linksys router, make sure to assign IP address to 192.168.1.1 (vs T3200 is at 192.168.1.254). This ensures they are on the same network. Turn DHCP to OFF. If need to, also set gateway for this router to 192.168.1.254 so it knows that internet is coming from T3200. I didn't need to do this as my router figured it out automatically. Critical: connect any port 1-4 from T3200 to port 1-X on secondary router. Do not connect to WAN or internet port on secondary router.

So basically what I have done is turned my second router into a glorified switch with better wifi abilities than T3200.  Everything is on the same network now. The T3200 doing all the router work by assigning DHCP addresses to all devices.

It works. But I wish I could find a way to run my entire setup without the T3200. Or be able to isolate the T3200 to just providing service for Optik TV which I don't care what network it is on, and have everything else run off my Linksys router. I tried moving the T3200 to after the switch in my living room, right before TV but no luck. I have heard the new TP Link and Netgear routers with multicasting IPTV can achieve this. I could also setup a MOCA to push T3200 internet signal thriuth prewired coaxial into living room to isolate the Optik TV channel. But MOCA bandwidth is often challenged/slow.

Chriss1
Connector

@victor_vvvYes I also did a similar setup on my router to what you did. I did not connect to the WAN port as some had suggested but to the numbered LAN ports. Also turned of DHCP. Sounds like your router software is a bit more intelligent than mine. I should have bought a linksys, I always liked them better. The Dlink is just being stupid and the auto config wizard doesn't work but I have it configured properly. I can not use casting from my router so I have to do it from my Telus T1200H but pretty much everything else works and is on the same network since I assigned a 192.168.1.x to my router. At this moment i only have a Cat 4 connection coming into my Access point am waiting for fibre. 

Chriss1
Connector

who here knows the 7 layers of the OSI model? have been doing this for 25 years. I worked with DEC net, token ring and BNC. all this preaching about "networking 101" grumble

Chriss1
Connector

@Nighthawk In your diagram of the router linked to the router , it is not TWO routers, you are showing  A WAN, WIDE AREA NETWORK , so a router linking to an outside network, this is not correct for two routers linking together2_step6.jpg

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Chriss1 - You're not the only person that has been working in networking and IT for a long time. The OSI model is easy too. If you've been doing this for so long, being able to accurately describe your configuration and intent up front should have been easy but you kept adding a couple more details each post you made instead of just laying out everything in the first post. A few of the details were even contradictory to others.

At no point prior to your recent post did you mention you disabled DCHP on the Dlink. The description you gave made it sound like you were trying to use it as a straight router, in which plugging into any LAN port on the Dlink would be wrong. If you're just using it as a glorified access point, there are far better solutions out there to use including hardware designed to be just an AP. On the same note, to use it as an access point, first you'll need to ensure the firmware supports it (DIR-822 does not show as officially supported), and you need to make sure it's configured properly. Manually for best results. Using an IP address in the range that the T1200 will hand out (.1.64 - .1.253) is not the recommended configuration for the Dlink. What @victor_vvv mentioned above is along the right lines of how to jury rig it. May not work for all routers. The other thing to note is that getting fibre won't change the need to have a proper access point if your network configuration remains the same.

Just to save on a wall of text here, read these:

--------------

@victor_vvv Linksys doesn't like Optik much. Some Linksys routers can handle multi-cast traffic (needed for Optik to run for more than the first few seconds) but they don't handle it well or for long. I burned out an expensive $200+ Linksys router that supported multi-cast previously. Only took about 6 months as the continuous load was too high for the Linksys. Since then I've only used the Actiontec to run the TV and had my own router, with all my personal devices connected to it, operating on it's own network separate from the Actiontec. Has worked very well.

MoCA actually shouldn't be a bottleneck at all. If it's MoCA 2.0 or 2.5, it'll potentially support speeds in excess of gigabit. Real world performance may be as low as 500mbps for 2.0 but that'll still offer plenty of speed.