Home

Trusted answers and information and Home Services devices and solutions from Neighbourhood contributors and the TELUS team.

Bridge Mode - Using Your Own Router

Community Manager

What Is Bridge Mode?

When you sign up for TELUS internet you will receive a device called a gateway - a two-in-one modem & router combo. Bridge mode is a feature that allows a user to shut off the router side of the gateway (i.e. WiFi), and use a 3rd party router in its place.

TELUS currently only offers bridge mode on 3 gateway models - the T1200H,  T2200H and T3200M. The main difference between these two models is that the T1200H is a single line gateway while the T2200H is a copper bonded gateway, used for higher speed plans where two lines are required.

Setup

1. In the address bar of your browser type 'http://192.168.1.254'  and then press Enter
  2. The Gateway’s Home screen will appear. Enter your user name and password and then click the Wireless Setup icon located in the top row of icons (see below).

ET pic 1.png

1. Click on Advance Setup on the right side
  2. Click on Port Bridging
  3. The Port1 Bridge screen will appear (see below) - click Enable and then click Apply

ET pic 2.png
Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
CoachRuss
Just Moved In

Just a follow up question: When bridging, do I need to use lan port 1 on telus modem/router to connect to my router (ie. since it says port1 bridge)?

ScottyJ Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

@CoachRuss Yes, that's correct - port 1 is the only port that bridges.

Cheers,

ScottyJ

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Very informative.. 

ergig
Just Moved In

Hi, I just set up my R7000 and did the bridging on the T2200H myself. After bridging, Is it a correct setup that I can still see and connect to the T2200H wi-fi connection? Or should I turn the wifi off in the T2200H

Thanks.

Community Power User
Community Power User

If using your own router disable the Wifi Radio on the T2200H.

*Keep in mind anything that was connected wirelessly to the T2200H will lose it's connection. You will have to enter the new WiFi network settings to connect to the R1700.

*If you ever need to connect to the Actiontec you will require a hard wired connection to configure settings (since the wifi radio is turned off).

ergig
Just Moved In

Is that by Disabling the Wireless in the routers admin interface? For some reason I can't connect to 192.168.1.254 anymore?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes disable the wireless in the admin interface. You will have to connect to the WIFI SSID of the Telus router to disable it or be plugged into the modem with a cat5.

ergig
Just Moved In

Got it. Thanks.

Blucid
Just Moved In

Hello, 
I received the T1200H Modem last night, and first thing that I tried to do is bridge the Modem. I am not sure if these instructions are out of date, or maybe the menu settings have changed after firmware updates. There is NO Port Bridging option within Wireless Settings. Instead you have to go to Advanced Settings in the top right and then under WAN Options, there is Port Bridging.

Once I did the Port Bridging the router restarted and then brought me to this odd login screen.

Router Login

Could not login, everything I tried did not work. Also when this happens the computer does not get internet connection at all (WIRED). So after several restarts, and resets. I noticed the WIFI Radio was on, connected to the SSID and boom was back at the Telus Login Screen. Logged in fine, went to wireless settings and disabled the Radio. WIFI Turned off, it rebooted it self and now its in FULL Bridge mode and that login screen is gone.

Just in case people needed extra help. Thank you.

Charrion
Connector

Can we still use bridge mode if we're using Optik TV? Or will the third party router interfere with the Optik TV box(es)?

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Charrion

As far as I know, you can leave your Optik on the Actiontec and bridge port 1 to your second router.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I let the actiontec handle the optiktv. The bridged router handles everything else. Even though my router (tp-link) is capable of handling the IPTV.

patapon
Just Moved In

Anyone having issues bridging on the T3200M? I enabled it, but I can't get an IP for any device connected to LAN1 after enabling port1 bridge. Smiley Sad

Edit: It works now! Just had to factory reset the gateway for some reason Smiley Happy

Nlarson
Resident

I have bridged my Actiontec h1000 modem and everything seems to be working fine except I cannot watch the same channel on multiple TVs anymore. I can still watch TV on multiple TVs but not the same channel. Anybody know what to do?

Community Power User
Community Power User

From the original post:

"TELUS currently only offers bridge mode on 3 gateway models - the T1200H,  T2200H and T3200M."

That you are trying to bridge an earlier modem may be why you see the errors you are experiencing.

camshaft
Just Moved In

Had my older equipment updated the other day, now running the T1200H. 

And YES!! bridge mode is now showing in the advanced setup. 

I see above you recommend turning off the Wifi on the t1200H. 

When entering the bridge mode, does it just disable all security measures going to Port 1? But the rest of the T1200H ports/wifi are still behind its firewall ?

Why I'm asking is if I wanted to add a secondary router to Port 1, but still use the other T1200H Ports and the T1200H wireless network?

Thank you 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually folks want to keep one network in their house, so connected devices can interact. If you leave the Wi-Fi turned on, or connect devices by Ethernet to the Actiontec, anything connecting to it will not see devices on the other router. This may prevent use of wireless printing, connectivity of smart home devices, etc. Some folks have connected their entire network except the Optik TV devices to the Actiontec, and their entire computing device network to the other router to ensure appropriate connectivity.

MacDaddy
Just Moved In

I've configure my T2200H for Bridge Mode with an Apple Airport connected to ethernet port 1.  However, if I try to access Optik TV ("On The Go" website or iPad app), it won't allow me to see live channels with that have the "Home" icon. An error message states, "The channel is available for viewing in your home over TELUS internet only. Look for the home icon next to the channel number".

I can get it to work if I... a) disable Bridge Mode: b) hardwire the computer directly to an ethernet port on the T2200H; or c) enable the Telus WiFi as a second wireless network.

Bridge Mode allows me to use the DHCP and NAT from the Apple Airport, otherwise there is a potential double-NAT situation... why does it not see my systems as a part of the TELUS internet? After all, everything still routes through the T200H.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Your Airport is assigned a different IP address than the T2200. Thus it is not recognized as being at the same 'address' as your Optik service, as it is not routed through the same IP. 

Your solutions include putting up with double NAT, or one of the ones you have discovered. 

What at is the reason for using the Airport as your router, that can't be solved in another manner?

Mat0633
Just Moved In

Hi, I need to connect the OpticTV 4K to my Telus modem in Bridge mode. Since the Bridge Mode uses port 1.

WestCoasterBC mentioned the OpticTV connects to ActionTec, does the OptictV connects to port 2? I was told by the tech that port 2 cannot be used in Bridge Mode, is it the case?

Thanks.

Community Power User
Community Power User

The rest of the ports on the Telus gateway, and the Wi-Fi, are available for your use for Optik TV.

Pteronarcys
Connector

If my optik tv boxes are wireless (have 3 pvr/tv wireless boxes) and I want to set the actiontec to bridge mode for attaching a second router, will this affect tv function? I know i want telus tv to communicate throughbthe actiontec and all other internet through my 3rd party router.  My concern is having the 3 wireless tv boxes.

I understand once the actiontec t2200h is in bridge mode, I hook up my router in port 1.  The actiontec currently has 2 telus devices attached, one is an extender I believe and the other I think is for the wireless tv's.  If this is the case, do I leave these hooked up to the actiontec in ports other than 1 and hook my router to port 1 once bridge setting is enabled?  Does bridging automatically turn off the actiontec wireless or is there an additional setting to turn this off? Do I want wireless turned off on actiontec or would this lose signal to my tv boxes?  Lastly, if wireless is turned off but the extender and tv signal box is hooked up, does this mean the router base is not giving off a wireless signal but the extender and tv signal box will give off wireless to communicate with the tv boxes?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Simply bridge port 1 and leave the rest as is.

Pteronarcys
Connector

Thanks

Peter72
Connector

I'm not super tech savvy so here is my question. 

T3200m:

WAN is connected to a white Nokia box. 

Lan1 is connected to a box in the wall. 

Lan2 is connected to the wifi extender. 

I have internet 250 and have optic tv. Want to use a different router for improved wifi for gaming. If I install a new router to bridge, I connect to Port 1 on the white Nokia box correct?

in doing this, how will it affect the wifi extender for the people upstairs?

Peter72
Connector

@NFtoBC meant to attach my question to you on my previous post

Community Power User
Community Power User

Port 1 on the Actiontec gateway if  you have Optik TV. You don't have Optik TV then you can connect your own router to the Nokia device, which has only 1port active. 

Fishbulb579
Just Moved In

I have an actiontec T3200M. I have a TP-Link Archer C9 1900AC wireless router. I currently have 5 optic boxes:

- 1x 4k PVR hooked up via ethernet

- 1x 4K wireless

- 2x HD wireless

- 1x HD wired box connected via coax and a coax to ethernet converter 

I am having all sorts of issues with my TV (stuttering, audio drop out, etc) and my wifi also seems to drop out occasionally when watching netflix. A Telus tech recently installed the T3200M and the 4K boxes and seemed to have an issue getting all the boxes to talk to one another. I get the feeling he did not actually resolve the issue before leaving.

I have adjusted the channels for 2.4 and 5.0 on both the T3200M and the C9.

My C9 is connected to one of the LAN ports on the T3200M.

Please advise on how to optimize my setup.

Should I check for a double-NAT issue? If the issue exists should I bridge the T3200M, connect via LAN1 to the C9 WAN port? If I change nothing else will this resolve that issue while still letting the T3200M connect to my Optik boxes?

Thanks

Community Power User
Community Power User

All your TV stuff should be connected to your T3200M either wired or wirelessly. I'd connect the unit currently on coax last, or even wirelessly. Bridge port 1 if you wish; many of us haven't, and connect the rest of your network to your C9 router.  

Let us know your findings.

Fishbulb579
Just Moved In

I've been told to try two things first:

- Try connecting the T3200M LAN to the C9 WAN and see if them acting separately works 

or

- Convert the C9 to an access point and route everything through the T3200M.

I'll report back.

Fishbulb579
Just Moved In

Turns out I was already connected T3200m LAN to C9 WAN and was having the double NAT issue.

I have bridged the T3200m and received some warning on the TVs about DHCP but so far everything works. I will do a power cycle on everything and see if it's all working well after that.

AgilityNut
Just Moved In

I've read through this thread and believe this is the area that I'm interested in. I have the T3200M with an internet hookup to my desktop PC running Win 10 by ethernet. The tested speeds seem very good through the tests I've done. On the other hand, the speeds I'm dealing with on my ipad, phone and casting are poor. When I look at the Telus gear present I notice there is an Alcatel-Lucent Model I-240G-B box that appears to function as the router for the wi-fi (I'm not very wi-fi tech savy so not sure about that). I presume this is at least part of my issue (especially since there is a flashing light that shows amber to red on the LAN1 port). Is it feasible, advisable, possible to insert a more robust router into the system to improve the types of issues I'm having? I did the bridge part already in anticipation of doing something! Anybody follow my ramblings?

Community Power User
Community Power User

The Alcatel-Lucent device is the Optical Network Terminal or ONT, and converts the fibre optic signal to Ethernet, which then goes to your gateway / router. The issues you see are between the gateway and the device, so mucking with the ONT won't fix anything; it does not have a Wi-Fi radio.

What speeds do you see on the wireless devices?

AgilityNut
Just Moved In

From PC through Telus speed test ping 18, download 176, upload 51

From ipad SpeedSmart 25 latency, 11.44 Mbps, upload 26.44

Taken one after the other.

VPN off in both cases.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Try downloading the SpeedTest App on your iPad, so we can see the numbers using a comparative tool. You need to test while the device is adjacent to the Telus gateway, not distant.

You also might want to try turning off Smart Steering on your Telus gateway (router) to see if that makes a difference.

How many different Wi-Fi signals do you see when you try to connect?  If a large number, you may have clashes with neighbouring Wi-Fi signals.

AgilityNut
Just Moved In

Thanks for your help. I'll try some stuff now that I know what the ONT is and get back with more questions, I'm sure. I have several speedtest apps on my ipad. I noticed when I tried again last night the upload speed was in the 70's.  Looking at my history I see that is closer to the average reading but inconsistency is certainly there and readings are way lower than PC. Thanks again for your help.

brantoneb
Connector

What would be benefit of setting it to bridge, as opposed to just putting a switch between the ONT and Gateway, then put 3rd party Router off the switch?

Community Power User
Community Power User

@brantoneb

The advantage is to those on copper, who don’t have the option you describe.

brantoneb
Connector

So, assuming Fibre 150/150, of the following options:

A.)

ONT -> Switch -> T3200M

`-> 3rd Party Router

vs.

B.)

ONT -> T3200M -(bridge)-> 3rd Party Router

Which is optimal?

Community Power User
Community Power User

@brantoneb

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. No real advantage to either, except you save on the cost of the switch in the latter instance.

brantoneb
Connector

@NFtoBC : Intriguing, somehow I woulda figured the extra hop through T3200M might pose either security vector, or potential performance bottleneck (regardless of how negligible it might be). hmmm.

Thanks for the advice 

JTL
Advocate

> The advantage is to those on copper, who don’t have the option you describe.

You could if you found a standard VDSL modem. In practice I see little advantage, unless you were having problems with the Port1 bridge.

brantoneb
Connector

Well this is infuriating ... T3200M set "Port1 Bridge" enabled, have my R7800 plugged in to port 1 ... and yet it's not getting an IP at all.
@patapon : Was that full-on factory reset to your T3200M? Like, to the point of losing all previous settings and everything? I suppose nearly at point of doing that, just bunch of settings that were headache to setup initially Man Indifferent

Edit: Factory reset did nothing. Power cycle everything: nothing. Even got on Chat with Telus just to inquire of something bit flipping needed to happen on their side, they remarked how they can't even see the T3200M ... which was odd, so gave up on Bridge and zeroed in on trying to get that fixed something obviously not right. Few hours later, after a few more factory resets, and Telus still not being able to see the T3200M, they suggested waiting 3-5 days for an update to go through ... wuuuut?!? ugh.

jakehawkes42
Just Moved In

@brantoneb I had a similar problem with my T3200M. I am trying to get port forwarding to work, and have all but given up on Telus being able to solve the problem. They've had a tech out to replace the unit with a new unit, and even tried downgrading to an older model. All the while Tier1 support said they couldn't see the modem from their side.

So far, there is no solution in sight. I was thinking to try an use port bridging to solve the problem, by then supplying a decent router that doesn't seem to fail as often, but the issues people are describing here seem to indicate that port bridging is just as unreliable... Or perhaps the only people commenting here are those that are having issues....

brantoneb
Connector

Mine just started working last night.

I wish I could tell you how or why, but still trying to figure out what "changed" to get it to work. After trying numerous cables, ports, etc,, it was not working, so I left it for a few weeks.

Last night I decided to give 'er a go again... still nothing. So decided to call up Telus. After getting bounced around a few departments, I finally was able to chat with someone who gave some confidence that they themselves knew networking (shout out to Scott!!!) ... at the time, we still couldn't figure out why (against swapping ports, etc.), and I left it as "just wouldn't work with my R7800, the way it goes".

After getting off the phone and grabbing dinner, I tried one last attempt with a cable I hadn't tried before (which would be cable #8) ... and boom, it worked. I thought, surely the previous 7 cables couldn't all be broken, so I went back and re-tried a cable to appease my insanity, and it now worked. I'm still thoroughly baffled what changed as this is now in a setup I had attempted at least half-dozen times. part of me wonders if Telus toggled something so waiting to hear back from Scott.

But alas, now it works. I'm watching it closely as things that magically work can also magically stop working.

@jakehawkes42Up until the magic started, I was considering putting a switch in between the ONT and the routers. I can confirm that, although Telus recommends against this, it does indeed work.

My current setup is ONT -> (WAN) T3200M (LAN1)  -> Nighthawk X4S (WAN).

I've seen some forums mention fiddling with your 3rd part router's MAC address, to get it to mirror the T3200M; however, this carries with it some caveats.

jakehawkes42
Just Moved In

Same here @brantoneb i set up a DD-WRT router on port 1 of the T3200, and configured port bridging, and after some false attempts, i got it working, and it was FAST! So I thought I’d just check one more time with the Telus router, and try to change as little as possible in order to rule out all the cables, additional devices etc. It worked, also very fast. Wut.

The speed is perhaps important. To recap, i am port forwarding WAN port 8080 to an internal LAN device). If I attempted to connect to the incorrect LAN port, it would fail pretty instantly. Use the correct LAN port, and it would fail after 20-30 seconds.

Putting everything back to how I had it when I first started trying to get this to work, and everything continues to function. I am convinced Telus changed something in their network, or perhaps tweaked something in the router. 

brantoneb
Connector

I would agree with the assertion that Telus did the old "change something but fake saying they did" switcharoo. Nothing just "magically starts working" :-/

That being said, after a couple weeks of decent setup with port bridging, for the last week I've had so many drop-outs it's quite awful. Got a technician out to the house to swap out the modem and it worked fine for 36 hours before it went janky again.

I've disabled port bridging to run an experiment .. I have a sneaking suspicion Telus is doing something, either through means to discover bridging, or their firmware update policy is just horrible.

mauricio5000
Just Moved In

hello there!! to make the changes on my modem they ask for a username and password !  

i tried to put the telus one but doesn't work anyone can help please?

@ETwrote:

What Is Bridge Mode?

When you sign up for TELUS internet you will receive a device called a gateway - a two-in-one modem & router combo. Bridge mode is a feature that allows a user to shut off the router side of the gateway (i.e. WiFi), and use a 3rd party router in its place.

TELUS currently only offers bridge mode on 3 gateway models - the T1200H,  T2200H and T3200M. The main difference between these two models is that the T1200H is a single line gateway while the T2200H is a copper bonded gateway, used for higher speed plans where two lines are required.

Setup

1. In the address bar of your browser type 'http://192.168.1.254'  and then press Enter
  2. The Gateway’s Home screen will appear. Enter your user name and password and then click the Wireless Setup icon located in the top row of icons (see below).

ET pic 1.png

1. Click on Advance Setup on the right side
  2. Click on Port Bridging
  3. The Port1 Bridge screen will appear (see below) - click Enable and then click Apply

ET pic 2.png

Community Power User
Community Power User

Use ‘admin’ and the associated password on the side of the box. If you have changed the admin password, you will need to use it instead, or reset the gateway with a pin, and start fresh.

dfrerichs
Just Moved In

We have a T2200M at work recently installed  and have been having some issues as we need to use our own router for our business internet and phone system.

I was told by customer support that the T2200M has auto bridge mode. Is this true and is there a way to default it to bridge mode? I discovered that rebooting the T2200M last out of all our devices the problem solved. But the reason that the issues started is because the power in the building failed overnight and ran the UPS out. So when everything came back online there were two devices delivering IP's and caused a day at work with non functioning internet and phones.