cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to put the Arcaydian NH20A in bridge mode?

TomKeddie
Just Moved In

I have a new install with an Arcaydian NH20A and am struggling to get customer support to put it into bridge mode.  They keep giving me instructions for an Actiontec T3200M.  I wanted to know if anyone is using the NH20A in bridge mode.  It's taken over 2 months to get this install completed due to various Telus mistakes, I'm close but still stuck.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MSH
Just Moved In
I recently got PureFibre business for my home office/lab as I required static IPs to replace my previous service. I also replaced my obsolete satellite TV for the home with Optik residential. I couldn't get TV service for business because they do not allow PVRs and most on demand services on business TV.

The installer first put in a Nokia ONT but then realised I had residential TV, and said business internet + static IP + Optik residential = "it's complicated" and said the easiest is to put in the NH20A (not sure why the ONT + normal router with dedicated VLAN for TV wouldn't work?). To facilitate static public IP and still have TV the 10G port was put into bridge mode.

It was very easy to do...just plug into one of the non 10G ports, log into 192.168.1.254 using admin password on the sticker. Then you use the web interface to go to network section and set the 10G port to bridge mode.

HOWEVER the installer did have to also phone a tech to do... something?...to allow provisioning of IP addresses (even dynamic ones) to 3rd party devices like my "actual" router and servers. But yeah it does work now, and finally got my static addresses too.

If you do not have static IPs then you can only get DHCP offers for 2 unique MACs simultaneously through the bridged 10G port Additional devices will fail until one of the first 2 leases expires. Also IPv6 seems to be filtered out completely (I hope Telus fixes that ASAP as I had plans to do IPv6 stuff in the coming year and I don't want to use a slow janky 6in4 tunnel).

ANYWAYS...I do think that in addition to putting that port into bridge mode there is some action required on Telus' part to enable DHCP to be passed through the bridge to your own device. Best bet is to call 1-888-310-2267 or 310-2255 and give them your NCID registration number and say you need to get a public IP through bridge mode of your NH20A to your own device/router. I THINK that is what the installer did after enabling bridge mode, then power cycled the unit.

Note this is for business internet. I do not know off the top of my head whether they will grant public IPs via bridge mode to residential customers. The service itself is very fast and reliable and the staff is friendly but the offered packages are artificially complicated and confusing leading to an install process that was a big tragic 3 week comedy of errors.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

MSH
Just Moved In
I recently got PureFibre business for my home office/lab as I required static IPs to replace my previous service. I also replaced my obsolete satellite TV for the home with Optik residential. I couldn't get TV service for business because they do not allow PVRs and most on demand services on business TV.

The installer first put in a Nokia ONT but then realised I had residential TV, and said business internet + static IP + Optik residential = "it's complicated" and said the easiest is to put in the NH20A (not sure why the ONT + normal router with dedicated VLAN for TV wouldn't work?). To facilitate static public IP and still have TV the 10G port was put into bridge mode.

It was very easy to do...just plug into one of the non 10G ports, log into 192.168.1.254 using admin password on the sticker. Then you use the web interface to go to network section and set the 10G port to bridge mode.

HOWEVER the installer did have to also phone a tech to do... something?...to allow provisioning of IP addresses (even dynamic ones) to 3rd party devices like my "actual" router and servers. But yeah it does work now, and finally got my static addresses too.

If you do not have static IPs then you can only get DHCP offers for 2 unique MACs simultaneously through the bridged 10G port Additional devices will fail until one of the first 2 leases expires. Also IPv6 seems to be filtered out completely (I hope Telus fixes that ASAP as I had plans to do IPv6 stuff in the coming year and I don't want to use a slow janky 6in4 tunnel).

ANYWAYS...I do think that in addition to putting that port into bridge mode there is some action required on Telus' part to enable DHCP to be passed through the bridge to your own device. Best bet is to call 1-888-310-2267 or 310-2255 and give them your NCID registration number and say you need to get a public IP through bridge mode of your NH20A to your own device/router. I THINK that is what the installer did after enabling bridge mode, then power cycled the unit.

Note this is for business internet. I do not know off the top of my head whether they will grant public IPs via bridge mode to residential customers. The service itself is very fast and reliable and the staff is friendly but the offered packages are artificially complicated and confusing leading to an install process that was a big tragic 3 week comedy of errors.