cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Security Commitment Period is one-sided

Riz
Neighbour

After speaking with a TELUS support person today about an increase on my bill, I found out that TELUS is allowed to increase what it charges for Home Security services at any time during your commitment period. However if you try to cancel your service, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $35 times the number of months left in your term.

After reviewing my service agreement, I found the Clause that confirmed this. It would appear that the Commitment entitles you to some initial discounts when you sign up, but these can be quickly erased over the course of the Commitment period. My rate increase was 13%. Fortunately, the support person I was working with was really nice, and she offered me a credit for the remaining months of the contract.

So, is it fair to have a one-sided commitment? Here's the clause.

TELUS reserves the right to amend any term of this Agreement, including rates and additional charges, at any time by giving 30 days’
notice. TELUS will notify you of amendments to this Agreement by posting notice of the amendment at telus.com/serviceterms (the "Service
Web Site"), or by sending you notice on your monthly bill or email bill notice that this Agreement has been amended, directing to where the
amendment may be consulted. If you have access to the Internet, it is your responsibility to go to the Service Web Site at least every month
in order to become aware of any amendments posted on the site, and you agree to consult any amendments notified to you in accordance
with the directions received on your monthly bill or email bill notice. You are not obliged to continue using the Services after an amendment
to this Agreement is made; however, in the event you choose not to accept the changes, your sole remedy is to cancel the Services, effective
at the end of your current billing period. Cancellation fees may apply. Your continued use of the Services following any amendment shall
be deemed to be your acceptance of the amended Agreement, waiver of any additional notice requirements and agreement to pay for the
Services in accordance with the amended Agreement.

0 REPLIES 0