cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Telus Tv+ pauses automatically since update

Herc
Friendly Neighbour

Since the January update of Telus TV+ rolled out on the Telus TV Digital Box, live TV pauses intermittently even though I don't touch the remote control. As soon as I press play, it continues again indefinitely and I never get the Loading Circle like there is a problem with the stream. 

It can happen multiple times a minute, or once every hour or so. But always continues when I press play. This never happened before the update that allows me to pause the live stream. Is anyone else experiencing this?

6 REPLIES 6

Optik-Kate
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Herc , if I'm understanding correctly, the live stream sometimes pauses on its own, but would always resume when you press play. There are no loading circles, so it just seems like Live TV paused on its own as opposed to experiencing buffering? That's interesting. Have you experienced this on other devices?

Herc
Friendly Neighbour

Hi @Optik-Kate 

I have not experienced any automatic pausing on any other devices other than the Telus TV Digital box I got as a replacement for my old Pik TV Media Box.  It is connected through a switch to my Telus modem using cat7 ethernet cable, so there is no wireless involved. And I have no indication it is a buffering issue at all since the video plays immediately once the play button is used (it shouldn't be in pause mode anyway).

Herc
Friendly Neighbour

While watching Telus TV+, I intermittently get a black box pop up in the upper right corner which reads something like "Resume playback, live TV can be paused for up to 15 minutes" then it goes away.  It might be related to another issue that the TV signal pauses and I have to go off the current station then return to it in order to resume the signal playback.  Pressing pause and play doesn't make the signal playback continue (which was a previous bug I reported). 

This occurs on the Telus TV Media Box with an ethernet connection to my Telus modem. I am not touching the remote when this happens. Any ideas how to avoid this?

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

A few thoughts/suggestions:

1. Do you have HDMI-CEC enabled for the TV manufacturer's remote? If so, it could be that there are 2 remotes trying to control the TELUS TV Digital Box (maybe it's stuck in a couch cushion, maybe it had a sticky drink spilled and there's a button stuck?).

2. Is your remote (and only your remote) connected via bluetooth and on the latest firmware? You can check this at Settings --> Device Settings --> Remotes & Accessories. You should see TELUS Remote as Connected (if not, press the 7 and 9 buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds to pair). Once connected, you can also check if there's a firmware update.

3. Are there any firmware updates available for the box? You can check at Settings --> Device settings --> Device Preferences --> About --> System Update. You may need to reboot the box for the update to take effect.

Finally, if none of these solve your problem, I'd recommend a factory reset as a last resort. This will wipe out any 3rd party usernames and logins you may have saved, but won't affect recordings, profiles, PINs, favourites or watch history since these are stored at account-level.  

Herc
Friendly Neighbour

I did everything you mentioned but I can't update the remote control firmware because it is greyed out. The remote is on 248.01.14 and there is an update to 248.02.05 available. I tried rebooting, unplugging unit, unpairing and repairing the remote but the update option stays greyed out. How do I force an update on the remote controller?

Herc
Friendly Neighbour

A new update to the Telus TV+ allowed me to update my remote firmware.  Even after all this, the TV keeps pausing on its own about 5 minutes after it starts playing. But I haven't seen it do it again after the first occurrence. Again, must go off channel and back on to it in order to resume watching. None of the solutions you mentioned solved the problem. The "Resuming Playback" pop-up doesn't seem to exist any more, though.