cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless digital box

Shikyo
Organizer

I got a small 24” TV set for my exercise machine. It is our third TV for our house. I was thinking of getting a digital box from Telus. I haven’t done it since their sight said 40 minutes for the waiting time. I am now thinking of getting own digital box from Facebook Market Place. I found several of them unopened boxes, however, they all located far like one hour driving distance. I also found a new PVR box for $50 close to my area. Could I use the PVR for my branch TV as a wireless digital box? The 24” TV is  RCA Roku TV and not a 4K TV

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As far as I know the Wifi box receives the signal from the Modem not the PVR.

On the verification. At this age, I think every device has it's ID and it need to be initiated/registered with telus or it don't work. Maybe it's also connected to location (address/account) .

I too had to call the tech people, read in the number before they made the units work. These days they send out tech person needed or not. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Shikyo
Organizer

I did some my own studying on wireless digital box and found out having two PVR boxes in a household is okay, providing recording function on the second PVR is not used. I now want to know that the second PVR could be connected wirelessly. I asking this since the existing PVR is connected to the router with wire. Our 2nd TV set is wirelessly connected through a Telus 4K wireless digital box. 
I also read about many digital boxes on Market Place or Craigslist could be rental items from Telus.

If I happened to get one of those, would I be in trouble?  

@Shikyo Buying used will telus activate them ???? Years ago bought a shaw satellite recevier garage sale money was owed on it they refused to hook it up. You probably have to rent an extra receiver from telus unless you can verify with telus that you can use the receiver you are buying. Good luck

A few years ago I bought a wifi and a PVR box. They activated both.

Then later they wanted to charge me when I didn't return them. $450 for the PVR. 

They could not provide proof that they gave it to me, but it was a big hustle.

They didn't even know I returned a wifi box that was theirs! Yeah, just put it in the box and you done....huh !

Shikyo
Organizer

Thank you both of you for your inputs

I have been studying about wireless digital box and found there seem to be no verification process with Telus

for adding a digital box and another TV to an existing account. I will keep studying this further.

I still want to know is the PVR box is capable of receiving Wifi signals when the PVR was used as a digital box. Our PVR is hard wired and the 2nd TV set is wirelessly connected. I am wondering the PVR is capable of sending wifi signals however, it is incapable of wireless receiving signals.

If someone could verify this, I would appreciate. Thank you.

@Shikyo  Your best way i to rent a receiver or buy  then your done with it. This is not like the old days put up an antennae hook up 25 tv s no charge this is THE INTERNET numbers follow you all the time. They can tell you what shows you watch and at what days and times you watch. Worry your self sick for $ will it work. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

PVRs are hardwired only. You would need a wireless set top box. The reason you may not notice a verification process is that when you order a box from Telus and/or an installer puts a new box or service in at your home, the box is already registered with Telus and your account. You would have to talk to someone at Telus directly to register an additional box if you happen to buy it second hand.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

thank you, Nighthawk

I now cleared my ??? …

As far as I know the Wifi box receives the signal from the Modem not the PVR.

On the verification. At this age, I think every device has it's ID and it need to be initiated/registered with telus or it don't work. Maybe it's also connected to location (address/account) .

I too had to call the tech people, read in the number before they made the units work. These days they send out tech person needed or not. 

Optik-Kate
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Shikyo , we don't usually recommend buying or selling boxes on FB marketplace due to privacy & security concerns. That said, if you do plan on purchasing anyway, you may want to look into the 4K models (you will need a breakout cable to connect to a RCA TV).  In addition, if you are on Copper, you may need to call in to register the STB. 2 PVRs will technically work, but may have registration issues, especially on Copper as the system won't allow adding 2 PVRs to generate the registration codes, and the codes are unique to device type. hope that helps with your search.

Thank you Kate

I couldn’t understand everything you mentioned 

On Copper,  do you mean hardwired?

“2 PVRs will technically work “   I guess as Nighthawk mentioned PVR has to be connected with wire, so in my case having 2 PVRs wouldn’t be an easy solution. Am I right?

Thank you for your help in advance.

IF you have HDMI in on the TV , don't need the breakout cable.

Copper referring to copper wire to the house, as oppose to fiber optics. I think because of it's speed limitations. my guess.