cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired STB on different subnet than pvr, cannot access pvr recordings

ravisdavis
Friendly Neighbour

Hoping anyone can help...I have telus 250 fibre plan.  My stb was on wireless but decided to hook it up to ethernet to make it a bit more snappy (ie, netflix, menus etc).  I had no problems with having it wireless before but now on ethernet the stb plays channels fine but I cannot access the pvr or any recordings - it says the pvr is not connected, or something to that effect.  My setup is as follows:

White alcatel modem -> d-link dumb switch -> T3200 -> moca to pvr

-> patch cable to ethernet wall outlet -> ethernet wall outlet -> patch cable -> stb

-> Netgear R7800 -> Netgear Orbi (for house wi-fi)

As mentioned, when stb was just on wireless from T3200 everything worked fine.  Now, on ethernet, when I go into netflix it shows the stb being on subnet 255.255.252.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 and also has some ip address of 172.something so it seems it's totally outside of the T3200 subnet and on the modem or something...??

Is there a setting in the T3200m to change this? or how do I get the wired stb to play nice with the pvr and be able to record and access recorded shows?  Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

So you have the Alcatel ONT > Switch > each router on a separate port on the switch? That should be fine as long as the ethernet cable from the switch is going to the WAN/Internet port on the routers.

Did you bridge the T3200m by any chance? That would give the STB an external IP and a different subnet...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You need to connect the STB to the T3200M. The whole purpose of a Subnet is to segregate traffic.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

ravisdavis
Friendly Neighbour

So hooking up stb to ethernet outlet and that connected ethernet outlet directly into the T3200 won't work?  It has to be network cable straight from the t3200 to to stb?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You're absolutely sure there's no way that STB is connected to the Netgear router? That could explain the 172 IP and different subnet.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

The patch cable going from the ethernet is plugged directly into lan port of T3200 and other end from ethernet wall outlet directly into stb. And that's the only in-wall ethernet wiring I have. My netgear router is 192.168.1.1 with 255.255.255.0 sub. Just for the heck of it I unplugged the stb ethernet and plugged that cable from wall into a ps3 right beside and same thing. Would it be something to do with the switch that's plugged into the alcatel from which the t3200m and my r7800 are plugged into?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

So you have the Alcatel ONT > Switch > each router on a separate port on the switch? That should be fine as long as the ethernet cable from the switch is going to the WAN/Internet port on the routers.

Did you bridge the T3200m by any chance? That would give the STB an external IP and a different subnet...

D'oh, that's it!  I completely forgot I once had my T3200m bridged and my R7800 plugged into lan port 1.  Totally forgot about the port 1 bridge.  Quickly changed the cable to port 2 and all is working as it should.  Thanks for reminding me I'm a knucklehead.  Now to start another topic about why I can't ditch my t3200m and add another moca 2.0 and some managed switches to my r7800 to streamline my setup...Thanks.