cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus slim line remote

richardjack57
Friendly Neighbour

My remote just stopped working so I changed the batteries. Put the remote down for 1/2 hr and when I picked it up it was hot to the touch around the battery compartment. I removed the batteries, and they were red hot, so hot I burnt my hand on them. Inside the battery compartment I could see significant melting. No one at customer service would do anything except say that they'll send me a new remote and trying to upsell me.

Anyways didn't hear back from any supervisor or anybody for that matter so I made a report to the Canadian Safety standards.

I've never seen anything like it but it can happen, be aware!!

9 REPLIES 9

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, and thank you for flagging this. Which version of the remote was this? You can see all the versions here.

Thanks!

richardjack57
Friendly Neighbour

Slimline remote 2

xray
Hero

It sounds like there is a short in the power circuit.

Were the dead batteries you took out leaking? Was there any residue in the battery compartment?

Do not use the remote or the batteries that overheated as both are probably damaged.

richardjack57
Friendly Neighbour

No they weren't and there was no corrosion either. Chucked the batteries and patiently waiting for a new remote 

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gotcha. Did you order the replacement online or did you call in?

richardjack57
Friendly Neighbour

I called in and the representative from the Philippines ordered me one. I hope it comes soon

KHR
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @richardjack57 

For future reference, and in case anyone has the same question - there's no need to call and you can pick up a replacement Slimline II remote from a TELUS store. More details are here.

richardjack57
Friendly Neighbour

I was told I can't pick one up it has to be ordered online, I get told different things from everyone I deal with at TELUS

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

@richardjack57 I wanted to follow-up with this. I've sent a PM your way so please keep an eye out for it 🙂