My remote just stopped working so I changed the batteries. Put the remote down for 1/2 hr and when I picked it up it was hot to the touch around the battery compartment. I removed the batteries, and they were red hot, so hot I burnt my hand on them. Inside the battery compartment I could see significant melting. No one at customer service would do anything except say that they'll send me a new remote and trying to upsell me.
Anyways didn't hear back from any supervisor or anybody for that matter so I made a report to the Canadian Safety standards.
I've never seen anything like it but it can happen, be aware!!
It sounds like there is a short in the power circuit.
Were the dead batteries you took out leaking? Was there any residue in the battery compartment?
Do not use the remote or the batteries that overheated as both are probably damaged.