cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 4K WiFi STB - Client Initialization error

KVos
Organizer

I had TELUS send me a 4K wireless STB (VIP5602WT) to add to my home setup.

Upon following the instructions, it comes up with the Client Initialization error and won't proceed. 

After working with TELUS support on this, they sent a tech.  He was unable to enter my house due to COVID but we tried all kinds of things, including:

- Adding a WAP (VEN501) to add to my setup

- Pairing the WAP to my Actiontec 3200 or my WEB6000Q wireless extender

- Tried a different model of 4K wirless STB

All to no avail.

My current connection is:

Actiontec 3200 > WEB6000Q wireless extender > VEN501WAP > STB (VIP5602WT)

For testing, I've moved the WEB6000Q, VEN501 and the STB within a meter of each other.

The tech said they have no solution for this right now, and may need to move my Actiontec 3200 out of the basement to be closer to the wireless extender.  Not sure how that'll help as it's all connected via ethernet anyway, so it's not like moving the router closer to the wireless extender or WAP will make a difference.

Anyone seen this?  Have any ideas? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KVos
Organizer
RESOLVED!

Got some other good advice from another friendly forum and was able to resolve this issue.

The root of the problem was that I had configured my router to handout OpenDNS’ DNS servers to all DHCP clients.

Once I set the DNS to use TELUS’ default DNS settings it worked perfectly. I’ve also removed the VEN501 from my network, as apparently it’s not needed for 4K setups (the tech had given me one to plug in during our troubleshooting, I guess he wanted to try everything!)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What happens if you first connect it by Ethernet?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thanks for the reply, NFtoBC.

I gave that a try. The wireless STB boots up with the same client initialization error, even when plugged in to Ethernet.

Worth a shot though!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Time to make a call to Telus, then!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Actually, I called TELUS about this before posting here. After working with multiple levels of remote support and having a tech work with me from his van, due to COVID, the problem persists.

I’m posting here in hopes that someone has encountered this issue before and has a solution we haven’t tried yet.

KVos
Organizer
RESOLVED!

Got some other good advice from another friendly forum and was able to resolve this issue.

The root of the problem was that I had configured my router to handout OpenDNS’ DNS servers to all DHCP clients.

Once I set the DNS to use TELUS’ default DNS settings it worked perfectly. I’ve also removed the VEN501 from my network, as apparently it’s not needed for 4K setups (the tech had given me one to plug in during our troubleshooting, I guess he wanted to try everything!)