cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canucks Blacked out despite being in same region

Lynette
Just Moved In

I have had Telus Optik TV for 5+ years.  Every season i have been able to watch Canucks games on Sportsnet Pacific with no issues.  I updated my digital boxes this summer, and ever since I did, i can no longer watch any Canucks games on Sportsnet Pacific.  I receive an error message saying that the game is blacked out in my region.  This happens for every single Canucks game - i have not been able to watch a single canucks game on sportsnet all season.  

I know the game is not blacked out in BC because my sons Shaw box down the street has the games on the exact same channel.  I can view the games with no problem on the channel on mobile.  I can also view every single Edmonton Oilers game on Sportsnet West despite not being in the Alberta region.  

Nobody at support has any idea what to do, and keep telling me that the game is blacked out by the network and there's nothing they can do.  I understand the concept of the regional blackout, but i shouldn't be getting this while in the same region.  Has anyone been successful in solving this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Lynette 

You will need to talk/chat to a technical support agent (someone from troubleshooting in one of our call centres) who can make changes to your account - a techician (installer in your home) likely won't be able to help you out. To be honest, I'm not surprised that a technician can't explain regional blackouts to you - these restrictions are relatively complex and may vary by team and/or channel. They're determined by which network owns the national broadcasting rights for a given team. As a rule of thumb though, you should always be able to watch your in-market team; if you're in Vancouver (or BC more generally), you should have access to Canucks games.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Lynette 

It sounds like your equipment has been set up to the incorrect geography. When you go to your guide, do you get the Vancouver feed of the major Canadian networks (CBC, CTV, Global), or do you get the Edmonton feed?

This will NEED to be resolved by a technical support agent, though it sounds like you haven't gotten an appropriate response so far. I'd urge you to try again, and be polite, specific and most of all, persistent. Something along the lines of 'My PVR/Digital Boxes are set to the incorrect geography/georange and I need you to fix them. I am in BC and should be able to watch Vancouver Canucks games on Sportsnet Pacific, but it appears that my equipment is set to Edmonton'.

Sorry about the experience you've had so far.

Lynette
Just Moved In

Hi KHR, 

I'm still struggling to get a technician that actually understands what the issue is, and does not tell me the rules on regional blackouts, because they should not be applying to me.  I was able to do a modem, pvr, and box reset because they said they made some changes, but i could still see the Calgary and Edmonton games last night even though i should not be able to.  I did not check if i got the Vancouver feed for other channels, but i will make sure to do that and add that information to my ticket 

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Lynette 

You will need to talk/chat to a technical support agent (someone from troubleshooting in one of our call centres) who can make changes to your account - a techician (installer in your home) likely won't be able to help you out. To be honest, I'm not surprised that a technician can't explain regional blackouts to you - these restrictions are relatively complex and may vary by team and/or channel. They're determined by which network owns the national broadcasting rights for a given team. As a rule of thumb though, you should always be able to watch your in-market team; if you're in Vancouver (or BC more generally), you should have access to Canucks games.

Hi Lynette - just so you know the Calgary game was available in BC ( at least it was in Vancouver ) but the Edmonton game was indeed blacked out. Hopefully you can get this issue resolved ASAP although if there was ever a season to miss a bunch of Canucks games this would be it. Go Bruins go !!!!!!!!!!!  😁